1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Premium diesel or regular...

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by prasanthcr, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    will have to really check how it works for MJDs, very difficult to say without testing system D extensively. but we have to be cautious about complex and precise injectors and sensors in on MJDs.

i would suggest to change the air filter if its too much dirty. clogged air filter alone causes lot of performance and fuel efficiency drops in diesel engines.

what you mentioned @ IC is the same thing happening with me right now. in my recent trip i got a lower highway mileage and observed exactly the same thing that you did @ speeds of 80-100.

mine is done @ 14000 kms.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    System D is no sure shot solution to clean your injectors effectively.

Like i said , i ran System D straight from the bottle to the injector pump of my Toyota Diesel (300ml diesel+250ml System D) , and even that caused only a minor improvement.

Totally agree with Italia Linea that there are more than one factors at play.

One which i believe is the 15,000km service interval. Which quite frankly is ABSURD. 7500km changes with Selenia make much more sense. Also an air filter & oil filter change at 7500km's.

Unless you are doing ALL your driving on highway at a sweet 70kmph, no way Selenia can take 15,000km's. .But that's me, and i don't trust FIAT when they say change oil etc at 15k interval.

Cheers.
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    totally agree with Gurjinder. i had changed my oil at 7500 kms. and now i demonstrated people how thin and dark black and rough it is now at 14000 kms.

but its not the highway that harms the engine. its the city driving that harms. engine runs immensely hot in city and the radiator doesnt get enough cold air and so doesnt the other engine parts.

on highway there is no issue at all.

a total highway running fiat car can use the selenia comfortably till 10000 kms. but a total city running car like mine cant take it to 10k kms.

@ Gurjinder, you gave a taquila shot to your toyota ;)

system D effects are visible only after 2 to 3 tanks of fuel being used with system D. the engine decarb fluids like Bardahl, 3M and many more which are injected with high pressure and the method you used for system D make a huge difference.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Highway running is THE best running for any car. Plus, flog your diesel hard once in a while gentlemen. They are diesels, they are rough ba*tards and love to be flogged. ;)

I do not have the technical facts to back this claim , but i've experienced it on a Toyota Diesel (Toyota 2L-T) and two Fiat diesels ( Palio and Linea). All of them feel, sound and drive better after i drove the hell out of them. ( Don't forget to cool your turbos down for a minute or two before shutting the engine off ! )

Cheers.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    you are absolutely right. this technology which is already proven is known as " ITALIAN TUNE UP" where in car is tanked up and driven at full throttle. the clogged carbon is cleared of and the engine feels fresh.

for petrol cars one great product that i remember was BG 44K. use it with fuel and you get amazing results than system G.

TASS used to sell BG 44k some years back. now i havent seen it.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @amit, i did chaned my oil at 6.5k kms only. & i changed it at 2nd service i.e. At 14k kms. also. But my point is whatcould be possibly wrong with my car that i thave to take extra-extra care if i want to juice out good FE. Whereas at 6.5k kms period once i got best FE in city i.e. 18kmpl(but that time tank was filled with hi-speed) My question is ''Is perticular gear shifting range could improve it?? What could be the best rpm range to keep working on FE.?? Shifing at 2000rpm is okey? Or i should shift at 2500rpm??
    Looking at those low figures im feeling like i dont know anything about MJDs! My style of driving is same as it was but simply cant get it, what is going wrong :-(
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    if you are driving in mumbai traffic the mileage will be low. but to be frank driving MJDs for optimum mileage is an art. i am sorry bro but its hard to describe in words.
    for example on highway when i shift to 5th gear and speeds are 80-85 @ around 2000 rpm the mileage on IC shows 25-29 kmpl. the trick is be very light footed on the accelerator and use cars momentum as much as possible.

in city if you foresee a speed breaker , just well before take your foot off the accelerator instead of braking just in time. when you pull your foot off the IC will show 50kmpl.

to sum it up in every gear , with a very light foot and rpms around 1800-2000 you can get best fuel efficiency.

you can keep observing various combinations while driving with IC on. i learnt it that way.

when i won the mileage rally i for ACA figure of 28.9 kmpl in the city. the most kanjus way i drove.
  8. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    here i'll like to notify this thing too that initially when i used to cruse linea at 40kmph in 5th gear which is the speed you can have with-out pressing accelerator, i noticed that IC used to show figures in 30s bt it has droped down to 20s only! The more problamatic thing is car is not giving any signs on which i could suspect. Is their any way to find out??
    One more truth is that, my most of the driving is in city only. Long drive with my Linea(total highway drive) was in last MAY. Since that trip i havent took her on long highway drives.
    Can this thing may affect FE too??
    Do'h totally cluless!
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    i would say take her on the highway once , may be till lonavala and drive with light foot and see the mileage. after prolonged city use the ecu must have adapted itself for city drives. if you can disconnect the battery for around 20 min before you take her for highway drive will be better.

also for a min or so on 2nd or 3rd gear revv her hard on highway. let it cross 4000 rpm for short duration.
  10. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    i understand amit, i noticed it too. MJD driving is an art. The way you mention to drive, i drove my linea exactly in same manner once in late night driving & my Range shoot up to 920kms. MJDs are pretty sensetive machines, as much we try to drive em with care they show instant reasults. But on forum i read manu times that people used to cruse their Linea at 120kmph still getting 18-20kmpl of figures. Now a days i believe those figures are simply impossible for my Linea! :-(
    I am taking the best car of her i can but still feeling like something is gone missing & car is not responding due to that. Other wise how come a 15k kms driven car shows low figures like12kmpl while it used to give me 15/16kmpl. I'll agree the traffic factor but how much it'll affect? 14kmpl is also acceptable by me but looking at12kmpl i feel something terribaly wrong!
    ohk i'll surely try out that. Adaptation of ECU is valid point you put in here. Using flush while next oil change is ok or i should avoid flush? I haven't flushed her yet.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011