1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Prem from Chennai- should I buy Punto diesel?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by prem, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Agree with Niranjan, the same thing happened with me when I bought my 1.2 Emotion Punto. That time my daily commute was near about 15 kms so I bought Punto Petrol, however once I got my car I completed 15000kms within 6 months. After that I was not able to afford running cost of my Petrol Punto & I sold that, waited for 2 months and bought Punto Diesel 90HP & enjoying Diesel Punto in each and every km I travel.

If you have Petrol car you have to think about the fuel cost & if you have diesel you just zoom everytime cause diesel Punto/cars are so fuel efficient. :)
  2. prem

prem

Chennai
    I need more info on this..
    before I ask more questions..can somebody please tell me how I can move this thread to "Which Car" forums? or should I create a new thread there?
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Thread moved to "What Car" section.

Please read Report Feature for any request for moderation.
  4. prem

prem

Chennai
    Thanks Ravi for moving the thread to the appropriate forum.

So based on the replies, I think its the diesel for me. A few more questions just to make sure:

1) Is is true that a diesel car should not be kept idle for a long time? people say that it screws up the engine pretty bad. I am asking because I take frequent trip abroad. sometimes the car will remain untouched for more than 2 months.

2) You guys are sure that Diesel will reduce the fuel costs considerably? I hope the fuel savings do not go into the maintenance costs. Will I be able to recover the premium within 3 years? I will surely be driving 1000 KMs+ a month.

3) Will the diesel engine last? This is my first car and like all my important firsts, I plan to keep this forever. and that brings us to the final question

4) Since I plan to keep this for a long long time, How difficult is it for people who own deprecated cars (palio,matiz,cielo,opel etc) to maintain their cars? How difficult is it to source the spares and find garages who know what they are doing? As you can tell, I am scared that Fiat might abandon ship. But I am planning to grow a pair and buy the car that I want to buy and be prepared to handle the stress later.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    1. No problem keeping the car idle.
    2. Yes it would, no doubt. Only difference in maintenance cost b/w diesel and petrol is price of fuel filter for petrol its approx 400 but for diesel it's 1750/- but it's changed once a year or after 15k kms whichever is earlier.
    3. Diesel engines lasts much more than the petrol engines. See ODO of any diesel taxi, some have clocked more than 4,00,000 kms without needing any work.
    4. Maintaining such cars is not a problem. There might be some delay in finding some slow moving spares but spares are available. Sourcing regular parts which are needed in service are not a problem and are available off the shelf.
    And engine parts will never be a problem with fiat Multijet engine powered cars as it is shared with Maruti termed as DDiS and Tata termed as Quadrajet
    Like matiz which shares maruti F8 engine used in 800 and Alto.
  6. prem

prem

Chennai
    Buying Punto 1.3 MJD- chennai

Hi friends,
    based on some replies to my previous doubts, I have finally decided to go for a Punto 1.3 MJD. Version I will decide based on the discounts offered.

a few questions for you guys:
    1) which dealer should I go to? Please suggest me a dealer who is transparent in his dealings, will give me the right discounts and not measure me up( based on my bargaining power) to give me the discounts. I am not a good bargainer really.
    Also, the dealer should be reliable. You certainly don't want me to come back later and post my niggles on this forum :p

2) Should I wait until diwali? I mean like on all the products, do the dealers offer discounts on cars too during Diwali?

3) Is HDFC okay for the financing? and should I get the loan on my own or go through the dealer?

PS: I really could not find the right forum for this read. mods, pardon me if it is the wrong forum.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    1. After having experience with all the 3 dealers in Chennai, I would say that a BIG NO to TAFE. They are not at all genuine and true to their customers. Stay away from this dealer. So, the other options are VST/Concorde. Concorde cannot match the discounts offered by VST. But, the SA at Concorde Mr. Raman seems to be a very genuine person. PM me if you need contact details for both Concorde and VST. If you are looking for better discounts then go for VST.

2. With Fiat, I don't think so, the discounts are more or less even through out the year :).

3. Again, a BIG NO to HDFC. They will charge you for prepayment and preclosure charges. Better go for nationalized banks like SBI. I got my finance from State Bank of Travancore. If you like to avail the finance from SBT then PM me again :).
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Threads merged.
    Please don't open more than one thread for same topic.
  9. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Chennai
    hi prem,

just bought my PUnto dynamic multijet from TAFE . My experience has been good with these guys though i had a hefty discount which was offered from VST, concorede was not willing to match it they were very stiff but then got the same deal with TAFE. moreover after finishing the payments and had to wait for 20 days nearly then i received a cal regarding my delivery and registration details they offered me a cash discount which i was eligiblr for. This convinced me that these guys were genuine.

In my view point it all depends on the sales personal who is handling rather than the name of the dealer.

hope u get the best deal
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Agree with you Manil. My buying experience from Bandit Auto was worst as I bought so called flagship model of FIAT, Punto 90HP.