1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Prem from Chennai- should I buy Punto diesel?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by prem, Aug 21, 2011.

1. prem

prem

Chennai
    Hi fellow members,
    this is Prem from Chennai. I have been reading all there is about the Punto MJD and finally I am ready to make a decision.
    The reason for me to join the forum is to get some advice/answers. I have read reviews, ownership threads, DIYs, and everything on this forum, so I hope to get some advice for me too.

I am planning to buy a new car and it will be my first car. Punto MJD has always been the car that I thought I had already decided upon, but lately my belief has been shaken.

My first concern : Diesel vs Petrol
    Do people really save enough to justify the premium paid on Diesel cars? Please help me here. What additional costs do the Punto diesel owners have to bear that are not there in any petrol cars.

Now that the Jazz prices are down, I really have to justify my reasons to go for a diesel car.

second concern: Should I buy a fiat?
    Punto is a looker. Its the only hatch that when I first saw, I stopped,took notice and thought this is the car I will buy. its Handling is the best. so many features.
    But should I go for Fiat? The company is not doing too well. What if they close business and go back?

Help me out here,please. Sorry if I have raised too many concerns. First car, you know.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How much you drive and how much you are planning to drive going forward. Generally after buying car, the long drive will increase.
    If you can be range of 1000KM or more, Diesel makes more sense.

None.
    Only servicing will be around 1K more, per year.

You would still get Punto Diesel in same price at Jazz Petrol.

But best thing is to drive both Punto Diesel and Petrol both, and also Jazz.
    Take which you like more during TD, keep TD on all types of traffic, empty road etc.

Fiat is going no where. Currently no auto company can afford to leave india. Also Tata is 50% owner of Fiat in India, so don't worry.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Prem, Fiat is going to open Fiat Caffes (search forums for more info on these) in metros starting with delhi and pune in few months... they wouldn't have been doing that if they did not have long term plans for india.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    If your running is meagre and only within City pick the Jazz without any doubt.

If you're a person who takes the car on the highways frequently and monthly running over 1000 Punto makes sense

My only advice is, even if you've slightest worry about Fiat closing down don't buy it. List out your priorities and make a informed choice. The service isn't so worse, you can get your car serviced in Chennai comfortably.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  5. prem

prem

Chennai
    thanks guys for the replies, but a few more details:

I did drive a friend's punto.
    Problem is, I recently learnt how to drive and all I know is I like to drive.
    I really can't differentiate a punto from a polo when I am pressing that pedal.
    And I certainly can't say which one is better- a petrol or a diesel.
    My monthly running will be somewhere around 800-1000 kms per month, atleast.
    But I have also heard of diesel prices about to be hiked again.
    If the prices are increased by say , 5 rs, is diesel still a better bet?

or should I go for the Jazz? They say petrol engines are always better than diesel ones.

About Fiat closing down, I really hope they don't. Every single day I scan the forums for news about Fiat improving things. But truth is sales are down. By every passing month, its getting worse. Heard there is some issues with the tata-fiat JV too.
    and this does make me wonder what if..

I love the Punto. I do not know much about cars, but this car has got the looks that almost invite me to touch it. What should I do?
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Even if the diesel price is hiked, Diesel engines are more fuel efficient. Also once you get the car you will always find reasons to go for a drive. So your average running May shoot up.

The Punto 75hp emotion pack is about 50k higher than Jazz base version which you should be recover within one - two years.

I wouldn't recommend the Polo at all, choose between the Punto & Jazz.

Edit- Petrol engines better than diesel, I don't think so. Diesel engines are usually stronger than their Petrol counterparts.
    Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Prem, Welcome to TFI.

If I were to drive around 800-1000 Km a month, currently I would simply go for Jazz with my eyes closed.
    Advantages of Jazz over Punto
    - More Space (Front and Rear).
    - Optimal usage of cabin space.
    - Biggest boot among the hatches (366 ltrs).
    - Super smooth engine and sleek gearbox.

Advantages of Punto MJD Epack over Jazz
    - Great handling.
    - Excellent ride quality.
    - Solid and tank like build quality.
    - Steering feel (Jazz is not even near to this).
    - Better FE.

Now, you have to decide.

BTW, you should have opened a new thread under What Car section. Your no. of posts is still showing zero.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Agreed to ramjn. If I wanted to buy a petrol car, I will simply buy Honda Jazz cause of biggest boot space, engine and refinements.

Same thing goes with Diesel car, I was looking for Diesel Hatchback when I sold my 1.2 Emotion Punto & I didnt look at any other cars and bought Punto 90HP Diesel.

If you buying Petrol car buy Jazz or else Punto 90HP Diesel is the car for you.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. niranjan_81

niranjan_81

Pune
    Hi Prem, One more thing, once you buy a car your commute will increase automatically.
    You suddenly start feeling like going to all the nearby places for vacation/one day trip even if you would have never thought of doing that earlier. Infact you will start searching for "Places to visit"on google just to take out your car. It has happened with me and generally happens with everyone. So if your current daily commute is around 800-1000 then I feel that it will increase to atleast 1200-1500 KM once you buy the car. Think in that respect as well.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^Agree 200% with Niranjan!!