1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pre-worshipped 2012 Punto MJD 90 hp Sport

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ranjithf1, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ranjithf1

ranjithf1 Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Namaskaram to all the Fiat lovers.

I am so excited joining the forum as I am planning to take a Fiat Punto as my second life partner.

Since I had a very limited budget and I love the pre face lift version of this time less beauty, I am going for one looking for a new partner.

I have shortlisted a 2012 Punto Sport MJD 90 hp model.

The beauty is as good as she got delivered 3 years before except a couple of small scratches on the exterior.

Purchase - Aug 2012. ( June 2012 make. 3rd birthday celebration just got over).
    Current ODO - 50 K.
    Reason of parting ways - Abroad travel. ( He too loves the beauty a lot).
    Place - Chennai.

Parts replaced:
    1. Battery @ 40K.
    2. Tires (Yokahama C drive) @ 45K
    3. Rear bumper ( Some one touched the beauty in the city traffic) in the last one year.
    4. Front windshield ( Kiss from a flying stone on the highway) in the last one year.
    5. Speaker upgrade ( JBL - not high end) and front door dampening @ 45 K.
    6. He says underbody anti-rust coating and 3M polishing done @ 30K.

No other major upgrades or replacements or accesories (no seat covers even but the black upholstery is good still.

> Original invoice not available.
    > Second key not available.
    > Extended warranty not available. ( Fun part is he paid the money for it but he is not able to locate the document along with second key, original invoice etc. and the FASS guys saying their record is also missing and asking for the owner's copy to enjoy the benefits. Your help is highly appreciated if anything can be done. Also the standard warranty just got completed this August. Is it possible for me take a extended one next month if nothing can be done?)

> Insurance got expired by 20th of August and he didn't renew as he is planning to give her away. ( He had claimed around 15K last year for bumper and windshield. So new premium should be around 15K to 18K approx).

His offer is 4.7 Lakhs (wo live insurance).

I am not able to come to the right value based on the various used car valuations (tbhp, car wale, zig wheel, gaadi etc. and other beauties in the olx and quikr )

So I am very much in need of your suggestions to make her mine asap.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi Ranjith, considering the fact that new Punto evo 90 bhp can be bought for 8 lac( one of our members had done this recently) 4.7 for 2012 model seems a bit on the higher side. Also the fact that no ex tended warranty and insurance not renewed.
    4 lac would be a great deal at the Max 4.25.
    This is my personal opinion, I am not a professional so do wait for others to respond.
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Giving a value for a vehicle is tuff, in places like chennai and Bangalore. as the resale rates of fiat is pretty decent.

Check all other Fiat puntos for sale in chennai. Call up and check the prices for other. visit couple of them if nearby.
    Once you do this , you can come to an approximation.

If the car is very good/your preffered color/preffered odo -- Then I feel paying a small premium of around 20~ k would not hurt.

My friend bought a 23k driven Punto 2011 June Emotion MJD for 4.72 Lacs . one year back. (when there were 4.25 lacs ones in market) .

Do your investigation . and then try to negotiate with the seller. Make an offer, And if the car is priced higher, all other offers will also be less. if not, Cars keep coming in the market. Good Luck ..
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    ranjithf1 likes this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    ranjithf1 likes this.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

I agree with others have said regarding the cost, I feel the cost is on a higher side. Plus the absence of EW, Insurance is another issues. I am not too hopeful if the chap has a service history on the car too. 30K for underbody coating, thats something I cannot believe. As said by @Deepak getting EW now from Fiat is out of question.

I feel you should wait and watch for better cars. Keep an eye on the TFI classifieds.
  6. ranjithf1

ranjithf1 Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will hold for sometime now till I get a reasonable offer.

@ghodlur , He doesn't have a detailed service history. I got the details by questioning him. And regarding 30K for underbody coating, I was referring to the ODO.

Sorry mates, I didn't mention the km anywhere. All those were not money but the ODO when it is done.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Step 1:
    Do extensive test drive of the car. Normal issues of 50K kms car would be clutch life/Clutch overhauling/suspension mounts/battery check/overall engine condition/which engine oil used/Was it from FASS or independent mech/condition of the exterior & interior/Brake pads/any squeaky sounds/Condition of AC/Condition of Turbo etc.
    This can be done from FASS or Independent Mech of your choice. Glasses condition/rattling/any new parts fitted/any aftermarket fitments etc.

If the car feels good and hits your heart/mind. Proceed to step 2.

Step 2:
    Check the Owner's genuinity. Like you mentioned about insurance claims/some scratches here and there. Paper work should be flawless. Check for Invoice and demand for it. Else FASS should be able to help you. EW - forget for now. No use. Original Invoice and Second key are must. If not get them from FASS. No compromise.

Step 3:
    Negotiate the price. Its a 90BHP Punto VGT. If you minus the insurance/some additional cost, final down between 4.25-4.5L.
    You wont regret on buying 90BHP variant. Save some money for remap. MUST HAVE!!.
    I think its reasonable given the prices of Puntos in BLR/CHN. Ofcourse with good condition of the shortlisted car. Finding good quality used car is very rare. Dont be in a hurry. Look around and have options.
    Foremost, You should like it as you intend to keep for long.
  8. ranjithf1

ranjithf1 Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Hello Ranjith,

Since the car is just out of Warranty iam sure if genuine he would have got all the needed service schedule done at FASS.
    Also 90HP have a timing chain replacement at 60k so you can use that as a negotiation point. If he is fine and if you are genuinely interested in this particular car, ask him to get it to the FASS where it is serviced earlier so that they can have a through look and let you know what all might be needed ( do offer him to pay for the fuel as a good gesture).
    A through check up will clear all the questions and if the car is clean and genuine I would personally say pick it up even if you have to pay about 20k more, as it is very rare to find a used car in fill it & drive it condition.

Turbothinghy and ranjithf1 like this.
  10. ranjithf1

ranjithf1 Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks @PradeepM . I will do that. I don't have any experience or even an idea about any ASS interactions. Do they wholeheartedly support us if we want them to check and evaluate used vehicles?