1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pre service - Engine oil and sparkplugs

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by BAINS_5003, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

He is right,iridium spark plugs aren't going to help in improving performance in any way.
    Stick to stock,if you want better performance,first step towards it would be Cold Air Intake:)
    And regarding engine oil,if your car is out of warranty ask the after sales to use Castrol Edge/Mobil1,which they usually have in stock.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Oh is it? I thought it was fully synthetic hence the 15k oil change interval. Afaik mineral oil needs change every 5-7.5k kms and fully synthetic every 10k odd.

Sent from my Moto Defy+ via Tapatalk
  3. you're right i'm thinking of going with a k&n universal filter
    the intake duct under the hood is poorly placed :(
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

You can push a FS oil till 12-15K:)
  5. so MOBIL1 it is ! ::T
  6. Denso does :D
  7. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Ok. In my opinion & after using NGK Iridium IX in my 2 stroke Chetak. I noticed a lot of difference for a vehicle which is nearing 20 years.

1. Engine idles quicker.
    2. It is a more rev friendly. The engine sound changed from a harsh put put... to a much softer one.

Most important it starts in one kick in cold starts too.

Now to the topic I was also planning to get NGK Iridium for my Fiat 1.2 Punto Active. But I have put the plan on hold at the moment.

It is also recommended to change the spark plug wire to an after market one for full utilization of the Iridium plug.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    While upgrading to Iridium or anyother upgradation please ensure the correct hear range.
    Cross referance chart is useful for correct upgradation.
    Spark plug with incorrect heat range may degrade engine performance
    1 person likes this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Apples and oranges Harish.

Yes I have noticed carburetted engines, especially 2T ones run a bit better when you use a fine tipped plug like the Iridium. BUT, that points to one glaring fact - your carburettion was out. When the engine's carburettion and ignition + it's engine health is perfect, even the cheapest of the spark plugs will ensure your engine runs fine! I hear this all the time in the RD350 crowd. And i give them the same argument.

The FIRE engine is a modern engine with precise fuel injection and more importantly, it is just a basic economic engine which doesn't need anything fancy. I would be happy to run normal mineral oil in it and change it every 5k. These are really understressed engines. It is when we want to give them the best that we think of FS oils.

Yes absolutely. A very important point.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  10. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    Guys what about the Bosch spark plugs?( not iridium ones). It's time to change my Lineas spark plugs and stock ones cost 130 per plug but with labour it will come close to 1100Rs. I can also get Bosch spark plugs but they cost 300 each. Due to lower labor costs it might cost me around 1500Rs with labor. Is it any good?? Will there be any issues if I go with Bosch plugs instead of fiat OEM plugs? If car shows even a small improvement in performance or refinement I will be happy with Bosch too.