1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pre-Owned BNW Punto Active - Ownership

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by whitepunto76, Jul 29, 2013.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Hi,

We have been looking for used Punto Diesel for almost 4-6 weeks. And finally we shortlisted on one and took the delivery of the same.
    Since the transaction of car was between close relative circle, we did not opt for any technical inspection and went ahead of buying process.
    The seller had been good, car in good condition and it smooth. Took the delivery on July 25th, had normal temple pooja.

First day excitement and drove very few kms. But noticed few strange things.
    1. Steering Pulling left
    2. Rear parcel tray rattling
    3. Squealing noise from right front tyre
    4. Rumbling noise from either of the front wheels

On other side, I had procured used Punto OEM Alloys plus GT3 tires. Got it fixed from Milli Visions and got the wheel balancing/alignment done.
    I was very happy that have selected the least run vehicle with decent mileage. However, the after effects had something else in store for me.
    Just after the wheel alignment, they said the camber & caster are not proper and needs adjustment which only FIAT ASS will do.
    Both Camber & Caster were way too much than normal. There was some bearing noise from front wheels.

Straight away took the vehicle to Aadya motors. One long journey from Basavanagudi to Manyata Tech Park. Very odd entrance and route.
    They found the problem to be lower arm of right wheel. They showed me the small dents on lower arm in two places and said the lower arm has been hit at high speed. Also, the engine guard was also bent. The lower arm of right wheel was slightly above. Hence the reason was pulling to the left.

With much discussion, the FASS proposed to replace the lower arm as they cannot be corrected. Even the link rod of right wheel was slightly loose.
    The cost estimated was 3000 including labour. Tightening the link rod. Even though rumbling noise was present, they said no need to change the bearing.
    Just second of owning a used punto, I was completely frustrated. Thinking as to why did i chose this and should have gone for technical inspection before making the payment.

Called up the seller and explained the issue. The seller is reluctant to acknowledge that there was any issue of such thing. I asked him to get this corrected with one general service and provide me a neat car. I am yet to hear from the seller. I am deeply hurt with this incident and cursing myself.

Please suggest as I need your advice.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    you really can't do anything if the seller is not agreeing. its your fault that you didn't get the car checked before buying. thankfully the cost of repair is not much so correct your fault by paying for the repair and move on. also get a general check and service history of the car from the SC for peace of mind!
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    The lower control arm has very slight dents. Around 2 nos. I was thinking if we can just repair and thinking to take it to Hariprasad Automobiles near Basavanagudi. No Lower arm available in any of the spares in service centers. They are asking to come after 2 weeks.
    Is it advisable to repair or to replace?
    Cant the service folks correct the caster & camber manually?

Please suggest.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Bad luck that you did not do a technical inspection before the purchase, but fret not. The problem is minor. Get it fixed and enjoy many many miles of smiles :D

Good decision to go to Hariprasad. He is any day better than any of the FASS.

Rajan
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    did you check in all three service centersfor lower arm? another option is getting it from 99rpm.com! camber/castor can't be adjusted in our fiats! only front toe can be adjusted!
  6. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Mr White,

Its a second hand car not a new one. All second hand cars will have faults in them. It is always an good option to spend 15-20k on a second car while purchasing the same and after that are the accesory part like stereo, alloys,etc.

3k is not a big deal for the price you paid to pick the car. i doubt that the previous owner will rectify the faults as it should have been done by the person while buying the vehicle.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Please accept my congratulations and the sympathies at the same time.

What was the odo reading when you tool the delivery? Surely you must have test driven the car before the final payment, did you feel any of the issues you mentioned? I would suggest to take Fiat service help and get those issue ironed out and move on. No point in complaining to the seller now since the cash has already been exchanged.

Hope you start enjoying the car at the earliest.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    After my drive yesterday & today. Its not that bad. The ride quality is good and engine is awesome. Only issue is left pulling. My only grouse was why did seller did not even mention it. I did took the test drive before the decision. But, I assumed it (left pulling) was normal wear/tear thing and was thinking to give for general service for Fiat.
    I have given to Hariprasad Autos today. He will check and let me know.
    ODO - 25800kms.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    now looking at your predicament i'm wondering if you should pay some attention to the service history of this car as well.
    If the seller is unaware or wants to be unware of the problems, well he has done it successfully .
    So for your peace of mind i would suggest you go and look at the service history as well and see what state the car is in and that should give you a good idea of what all needs to be done.
    There is nothing much you can actually do now than to hope that you've not been duped
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    This must be the case of wheel alignment/balancing gone bad. Suggest you to take it to a good/reputed WA/WB provider and get it checked. Even after that if the car pulls to the left, show it to the FASS.

I doubt if the seller must have known this or like you he also assumed that things are Ok with the car. I would advise dont start feeling too negative about the car, you have got a low run car and you still have lots of miles to go. Can you confirm how old is the car?