1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your Exhaust related queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I want to know to what extend an exhaust leak can influence the engine noise and performance?
    Will a small leak can be noticed by the change in the pick up?
    I had posted a picture of a soot found near my exhaust end in my ownership thread.To avoid double post I am giving the link here
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-4...red-grande-punto-1-4-emotion-5.html#post96202

I am planning to show it to TASS before that I want to get educated little more. I have noticed that even after engine becoming hot while idling is not smooth.
    the noise is like motor running with overload, which earlier was very difficult to say whether it is running or not. Not much difference in higher speeds.

Also I want to know whether the brown dots on exhaust pipes are potential threads for rusting and a possible leak?
    (Though posted this on my ownership post , I thought we can have a thread to discuss all queries at one place)
    Thanks
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I feel there is a slight changes in performance

1. I feel I have to do press the pedal slightly hard to accelerate the vehicle. Especially after 100-120 and further looks like not as freely coming like earlier.
    2. Earlier 16kmph was so easy to achieve on highway and now days TRIP B shows 14.5 to 15.

I had asked many times to check for exhaust leak at TASS and they told it is not there. Then I found soot near the end of exhaust and they tightened the screws. But now I am afraid whether there is a small leak. Another symptom is a slight increase in temperature on bonnet surface.

How the TASS people diagnose the exhaust leak? Do they have any instrument to check it?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Unless it is a major leak and the exhaust system pretty much falls off (It happened with me) the car, i don't think you'd notice a difference in performance. Especially in the case of a minor leak.

Secondly, the conditions in which a car runs are also not exactly the same always. Like weather - it keeps fluctuating ( not sure if it's the case in Goa?). Even the Linea, although being a turbo-diesel, does feel laggy or changed sometimes, while at other times feels better than ever. Just my humble opinion.

And, Is your car due for a service/ fluids-filters change?

Cheers.
    P.S. Sun, Do you have a thermometer in your fingers? (Just Kidding)
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    There is a valid point in your comment about whether changes. In goa now it is extremely humid and it is continuously raining like hell. If remember correctly the performance drop felt recently. But I had found a point where there is a carbon deposit in exhaust pipe. Any way my service is due within 3-4 weeks. Will get it checked.

All meters are at my heart. Any changes than normal it quickly picks up. :D
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Here is the pictures that I took today. I was shocked to see water droplets o the pipe where I saw the soot. There are also water drops found in two areas near to that(A and B in figure).
    DSC02547.JPG

Soot and water drops
    DSC02544.JPG
    Water collected from the leak area

DSC02546.JPG
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Actually, you can easily feel pressure leakage on your palm.

You can try this if TASS is not able to diagnose leakage. Take the car to an outside mechanic, who has welding equipments. With the engine started, move the lit gas welding gun near the exhaust joints. If there is leakage, you would see the wleding flame fluctuating as if in wind.

In the third picture, it looks like the clamp is getting loose, resulting in leakage. Try replacing only the clamp bolts.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Fiatlover for the tips. But god was today with me to show the problem with 100% clarity. My car got the first breakdown while cruising at 90. I heard a krrrrrr noise slowed down stopped the vehicle and when I pressed the accelerator I could here a drrrrrrrrr noise with very little pulling. When I started a vibration from exhaust was audible. Engine is running. Oil is at its max(Did top up today morning). Clutch is engaging properly. Vehicle is at TASS. What my heart felt was correct. There is no blinking warning lights, Engine temperature needle at its usual position. I was about to take the vehicle tomorrow for checking the leakage problem.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    It depends on where the pipe is ruptured and whats the size of the hole. Back pressure changes if there is leak in exhaust. Depending on location of leak you may either loose low end torque or high speed.

Apart from the above what Gurijinder said hold true for each and every car. Climatic changes make the car drive differently