1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The following link will explain in detail about lot of queries regarding coolant. It clearly explain the potential problem that can cause to an engine with improper coolant.

Antifreeze Recycling FAQ

Does Fiat sells colant-water mix(not concentrated one) ?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

A very basic question. How do we know that the engine is over heating or not? Can we trust the engine temperature display. Is there any chance that the display is normal between H and C but engine is overheating? I had this doubt because I never noticed any abnormality in engine temperature meter but the coolant leak that observed can be due to head gasket problem resulted from over heating.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    No. FIAT India sells only Paraflu UP concentrate.
    Apart from the temperature gauge, the other symptoms are: the car's acceleration will come down drastically and even come to halt in case of extremity. There will be a burning smell which can be smelt even inside the cabin in case of extreme heat.
    1 person likes this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have been seeing the coolant level going down recently. It doesn't dry up very fast. I topped up twice recently at an interval of about 400-500 kms. Now when I check in detail, I see something that looks like coolant leak. Here are some pictures. You can see coolant dried marks (orange color) on the engine guard plate and also on the pipe joints.
    Please have a look and tell me what you guys feel? I am going for a detailed check up next week.
    Image001.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Man one way you are lucky if it is a coolant leack due to any crack, because it rule out the possibility of a leak in engine. For example if there is a carbon monoxide, that supposed to go via exhaust, can enter the coolant camber if there is a leak in cylinder head. This results in exsessive pressure in chamber and can cause escape of coolant.

@J.Ravi: Thabks. I think my coolant is not in 50:50 ratio since at TASS they are topping it up with water. It can lower the boiling point of mixture and not good for engine. I am thinking of checking the ration first and from internet found that a refractometer can be used to find it. Let me have a try.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Did the problem appear again?

I got distilled water from battery shop and planing to do a top up tomorrow. regarding top up I have the following query?
    Should I pour the diluted(50-50) while the engine is cold?Do I have to run the engine(a short trip) immedietly after the top up?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Been a while since i checked, will check tomorrow.

Ideally, yes, top up when cold. Since that is the time when you'll know about the correct level. No you don't have to run it immediately after topping up. Whenever you start the car next, it'll get circulated and Mr.new coolant will make friends with Mr.old coolant. :p

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I baught 1L of distilled water(Rs. 20) from a exide shop and made 100 ml 50-50 mixture. Used around 90ml for top up. The level initially was just above minimum and after top up it is slightly below max. Checked the engine oil and it is in god condition. Mr. new coolant is taking rest and will meet the family tomorrow.
    1 person likes this.
  7. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Mumbai
    Infamous AC upgrade and the after effects

Living with the perils of that "in famous AC upgrade". Coolant leakage from the TASS fitted rubber pipe. This is one thing FIAT should have handled properly. :( Have given my Punto to TASS today. The SA was more interested in "jugaad" way of fixing the problem up.

Any advice on how to tackle this?

Regards,

Abhinav

IMG-20120208-00773.jpg
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But how coolant leack is related to ac upgrade?(need to find it out). There was a similar case in this forum. What was the explanation of SA?
  9. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Mumbai
    As a part of the AC kit up gradation, the rubber tubes were declipped and these screw type rings were used to reclip the same rubber tubes. FIAT or the dealers tried to save money on replacing these tubes with new ones (ideally should have been done) and doing the clipping properly.

I had to spend time earlier also as there was leakage from other tubes and strangely I was advised m-seal. This was in Hyderabad.
    Again the SA with Galaxy Mumbai (Goregaon) is not keen on replacing the tube.
  10. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Lucknow
    This is a bit of concern here. It looks like dried-coolant which might have leaked or spilled while filling. I think its a spill while filling from the way it has spread all over in the last pic. Even if this is not the coolant try to find what it is.