1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    When I asked for paraflu bottle in cochin TASS said they will not sell it. But in Goa I asked them to refill the coolant which was below the max level and I braught back the remaining coolant(almost full). So this will work if one fail to get it from outside.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Today I have noticed that the coolant again gone near to minimum marks. I am not planning to take it to TASS rather I will prefer to top it up by myself.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    sungoa coolant level going to minimum so often is not normal, get the cooling system checked for leaks and post in fiat grievance box if ASS is not able to diagnose.
    Sometimes a small crack in hoses and coolant bottle etc not sufficient to allow the coolant to leak can allow the vapor to go out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    What I have observed is that the at the present level it doesn't change. When it is maxmum the rate at which it decresae is more than the rate at minimum level.
    What could be the reason ?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There can only be two broad reasons i reckon :

- Leaks
    -Engine issues

I don't know if anyone in India does a coolant system pressure test. That would make diagnosing such issues much easier. TASS wouldn't know about it im sure. So the only way out seems to be a thorough checkup.

Coolant level should not go down on healthy cars.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    thanks Gurjinder. Can you tell little bit more about the second case(engine). Is there any way we can diagnose it from the colour of engine oil.
    If there is a crack then pressure inide chamber can vary and will it affect the flow of coolant to engine?

This issue has been posted by many of our members .
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Coolant can leak inside the engine only when the head warps , the head gasket blows etc. Otherwise, the cooling system is isolated from the lubricating circuit. The oil will seem to be like a chocolate milkshake on the dipstick/ under the oil filler cap.

Along with that , when the head gasket goes, you'll normally experience overheating etc. On cars which have a cap on the radiator , you can see bubbles in the radiator when the head gasket goes bad , and the coolant will tend to overflow all the time.

But i think yours seems to be a minor leak somewhere. Get it checked whenever you have time.

Till then enjoy the drive!
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I am attaching a picture here. Is it the bubbles that you are talking?
    DSC01543.JPG
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Nah mate. That is perfectly normal. That is just the coolant sloshing around in the bottle. ;)
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Relief.Thanks man.
    May be I will take the vehicle this week to TASS.