1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hello,
    again my coolant has dropped to the minimum level after 2000 kms. the TASS has checked for leaks 2 months back and assured that there were no leaks. when asked about this drop after 2000 kms, SA told me that it is normal .. please help.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Coolant level goes down in most cars including mine. Because of this now I take it as "normal" phenomenon.

BTW, European cars are known for drinking engine oil. There are some brands in India whose cars' engine oil virtually disappears in 5000-8000Km in many of their cars. In our case, its the coolant. :p
    1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

My level too used to drop below Min Level got it checked at ASS and they found a minor leak and fixed it. Leak was from some loose clamp on a hose going into engine. I had to leave the car for whole day at ASS. Poor ASS guys were working on World Cup Final day :D
    Post that I have not noticed coolant level dropping excessively at all, now I need to top up coolant by approx 200 ml in 15,000 km interval.
    I use only distilled water to top up coolant and also make sure that ASS guys use only distilled water to top up or flush cooling system.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

My Linea's coolant level at just above max level remains almost unaltered. The spare coolant in her boot remains unutilised. Sometimes, I wonder if there is any malfunction. I heave a sigh of relief by cross-checking the pointer at the centre of engine coolant temperature gauge.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

I never really observed the coolant level very closely. When ever I open the bonnet, I see the container with pink fluid somewhere midway and leave it at that. But always check the engine temperature gauge which has remained in the middle always.
    After being alerted about this issue faced by some owners, I checked it today morning and found it to be just below the max level. No issues so far and my car has done 32000kms and completed 3rd service.
  6. One mechanic near my house made me worried stating that it may be due to the engine gasket problem, which is a serious issue. But yesterday I met a person who is the owner of MARUTI SPARE parts centre. Interestingly He is a hardcore fan of FIAT and owns a LINEA MJD. He told me that if it would be the gasket issue, then there will be other symptoms for sure. But I don't know to where this coolant in our cars is going.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

It is not a head gasket problem. If it would have been a gasket problem your coolant would be black and engine oil would appear milky in color.
    Go to ASS and tell them in strong voice that your car is leaking coolant from somewhere and tell them in advance that you won't accept the delivery of car till that is fixed. If they show any resistance they that you will complaint to Fiat about this.
    ASS people don't take them seriously because leak is very small, and they have to spend hours on that car watching from where it is leaking coolant.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  8. now my coolant level has gone down the minimum level by a bit. my current strategy is wait and watch.
  9. sungoa2010

This issue has to be written to Fiat since it has been experienced by many customers.
    1 person likes this.
  10. rajbajwa

Hi guys,

My friend who too owns a Linea is facing this problem where the coolant level has gone down considerably. He lives in Borivali - Bombay. Wanted help here to know if Paraflu is available off the shelf in any Auto Parts Shop in the western Suburbs. The closest Fiat service center (Wasan Kandivali) has informed him that they won't sell Paraflu to him as a bottle but he'll have to take an appointment and the technician will change the coolant.