1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. thank you vijay, I will definitely tell the TASS to check it and update the thread.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Vijay for information. I used to wonder where these coolants are disappearing without giving any trace of it.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    even my coolant level had dropped below the min mark. i called up the SA and he told me that the coolant disappears after few thousand kms. and then fiat says come after 15000 kms for service :) what an irony.

i never faced dropping coolant levels in any of my other cars.

he suggested me to add distilled water and forget the worry. i added 500ml distilled water.

but a million dollar question remains

" Coolant doesnt last, Oil doesnt last, Battery water doesnt last, Air filter doesnt last(gets clogged) " for 15000 kms. then why 15000 kms service interval?:shocked
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I had coolant level issue after I got my punto repaired.
    there was a leak on one of the hose behind the engine (as reported by FASS) they replaced the "clip" and it went fine for a week,when i checked again where I saw the fluid has gone down to quarter level. desperately I opened up the lid just to notice fluid rushing back (with a hiss sound) into the tank to MAX level. I believe the fluid remained inside the engine at high pressure. now since 3 months it continue to remain at same level.

There is a clause. servicing is at 15000km or one year, whichever comes earlier ,am i right. so isn't it alright?
  5. I also doubt the long service interval
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Its just a marketing gimmick. I have NEVER believed in the 15,000 km service interval. It'll do our engines a vast amount of good if we stick to half of this interval - 7500km's.

I'm sure FIAT will have their reasons to recommend such an interval , but it doesn't agree with me.

And coolant dropping is a real stunner. How hard can it be to contain leakages? :mad:

Cheers.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    even i dont agree. i have topped the battery water, coolant, air filter cleaned myself at home.

yes its very very very hard to contain the leakage it seems. because after a long run too i checked all the plumbing from all the angles.

there is no visible trace of coolant or any fluid leaking. i am still investigating where does the coolant disappear.
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

Call me old fashioned, but I always believed that we should take care of checking and topping up of the fluids levels such as coolant level , engine oil level, Battery water level etc.

I strongly agree with Gurjinder and Ital-linea: get the oil changed in 7,500~10,000 km (max).
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If usage in one year is < 7.5K then is it better we service it in 8th or 9th month?
  10. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

delhi
    When i went for the CSC replacement...the tASS guy told me the coolant level is too low and topped up it with 1.5 liters of coolant.
    Wonder what is the capacity of coolant reservoir.