1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    @pioneeraron : I think engine oil is OK.

Just check whether there is any visible leak (yet very small). May be you can keep a white thin paper or the brown paper that use for covering books. Keep it below your car and start it and see if there is any spot. Also you can repeat it after a drive (the idea is to check at different driving conditions. If we are sure that there is no visible leak then it can be due to evaporation through hair cracks on container or hose or through the loose cap. If there is a leak why it stops at the minimum level (as mentioned in your post)? It can be due to change in pressure inside the can due to some kind of tiny cracks.

Also check whether your fan is working properly. I don't have much idea about the internal leakage.
    Here is a link I found about coolant leak. http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant_leaks.htm
    Any way keep a bottle of water coolant mix in your car so that you can use it for emergency.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @sungoa

Thanx buddy for the advice.Will do as you say.I have an appointment with TASS next week.And i'll update u guys on the same.Ya i always keep a spare engine oil can 1L and coolant pack with me :)
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Please help engine coolant

Hello everyone,

today night i noticed that the engine coolant level is just below the minimum level. I have not driven the car after 2 pm afternoon.
    Is there anything serious.? My car has covered 6900 kms only. First service at 5000 kms done. I feel bad because the tass people had to top it up during the check up. Now what are your suggestions.? Can i wait till i meet the tass people on tuesday or top it up on my own or ignore it and constantly watch as there are no problems as of now.?

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

hai everyone out there,
    please help me in this regard...
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Our Linea is also showing coolant right at the MIN level. :-? Ideally it should be between MIN and MAX when the engine is cold.

I plan to do some driving around and checking it regularly when the engine is cold, so as to make sure that the coolant is indeed low, also to check if its going down any further.

I'll just top up with the amount needed for the top-up. And re-check periodically to check whether it goes down again.

As for the reason of it going down ( I regularly check all the fluid levels , and the coolant level was fine earlier) , I don't really know why it went down.

Cheers.
  5. @ Gurjinder, hello gurji, so may I wait and obseve, as my engine temp gauge is showing normal limits ( at the middle between C and H) even after long drives. is there any urgent issue.? expecting your valuable suggestions. my coolant level is just below the min level.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Unless there is a major leak somewhere, you should be fine while driving it.

But, do take the car at the TASS and ask them to properly check the coolant level, preferably cold engine, and also enquire why the level went down.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I also observed and recently mentioned it to service person. The answer given was that there will be slight amount of leakage which will be normal. The chamber is not 100% sealed.This is to avoid unwanted pressure generated inside the chamber. Any idea about the validity of this arguement?
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Not at all.

Coolant isn't mean to disappear. The cooling system is fully sealed. Had it not been sealed then coolant would've rushed out from places like a fountain when there is a build up of high pressure in the system due to heat. :p

Dunno why there would be a reduction in level all of its own though.:-?
  9. ok gurji.. now it's cool
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    There's a leak somewhere in your coolant system according to ASS almost all fiat cars suffer from this.
    In my car too coolant used to drop to Min Level in a week but it would not go below min mark. ASS took 2 days to diagnose the leak, it was due to loose hose clip which costs Rs.2/-
    Leaks don't show in our cars due to the engine guard any leak is stored in sump guard, ask the ASS to remove the sump guard and let the car stand idle for sometime.
    1 person likes this.