1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Thanks....will replace just the radiator circuit then..! Actually I am so disillusioned with their methods, that I have vowed never to return to the local ASS for anything. DIY zindabaad!
    punto11 likes this.
  2. Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune
    Hello,

I have been facing the issue of coolant leakage in my Punto MJD. I noticed the problem after the clutch change was done. I'm not sure if this is linked at all.

I did a 1100kms trip and before the trip I had topped up the coolant tank. After I came back from the trip I just checked the coolant tank and I was shocked to find that it was bone dry. In the trip I did not face any issue at all of over heating etc. I just checked the tank after the trip,as general check up, and found it empty. I immediately topped up the tank and checked for leakage signs. I could not find any leakage signs anywhere.

I immediately took the car to JayVijay (Fiat service station) in Pune.They also could not find any leakage signs. The coolant tank had become very dark, dirty the coolant was also darkish brown in colur. So I asked to flush out all the coolant and replace the tank with new one and check for all the leakages. They kept the car overnight and did not find any leaks at any of the joints. The cap was also tight.

I took the car and kept on observing daily. I noticed that the coolant level is dropping and attached are the images.

The coolant level was filled just below the max level.I checked the level after driving around 65kms in city driving and level dropped slightly below Min mark.

20160329_65kms.jpg

After further 45 kms of driving the level has dropped further below Min mark as can be seen from picture.

20160330_110kms.jpg

So after driving of around 110 kms, the level which was just below Max mark has dropped below Min mark as seen in the second picture.

Note: All the pictures were taken in morning when the engine was cold and there are no signs of leaks around pipe joints or on the floor.

I'm not sure where the leakage is. Can it be inside the radiator? Please advise!

I will be observing for few more days before taking the car again to service station. The guys at JayVijay (Fiat service station) seem to be clueless to find the leak.
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @Maverickxx2006 : Similar problem happened in my Indica few years ago and it was the radiator which was the culprit. Even hairline cracks in the radiator fins can empty the coolant tank over a long drive. You can check the radiator for any leakage.
  5. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello guys.
    Need some advice on coolant
    My car has clocked 38k kms
    Coolant isn't changed on 30k kms service schedule
    The color is same pink as from day 1.
    Moreover no leakage is there in my car.
    Have top uped only once that also few ml.

Now my question is.
    Can I stretch to it for say 60k kms or should I change it on 45k only. ?
    Read somewhere here it will change color as it degrade, is it true ?

Thanks & regards
    Vicky
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    i have similar issues in my Honda city Zx
  7. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    dear maverick, you can check for leaks by looking from below the engine in a car wash centre or service centre itself. One of the culprits where coolant drains slowly is the egr cooler pipe. You can check this by dried pink coolant marks on egr cooler pipe. There is another bad boy called as oil cooler in our cars. You can check that too.your coolant chamber looks darker so you may need to check if oil is being mixed with coolant. In that case oil level may rise.
  8. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    My advice - follow the listed activities always, lest you stand chance of warranty violation. I got almost declined a warranty claim because the coolant wasn't replaced during second service. Then I argued and wrote to FCA that its is the duty of FASS to carryout all scheduled activities and that if not done, it is no owners mistake. Of course, I am extra careful since then. I got the claim though.
    vtlreja2 likes this.
  9. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    @Maverickxx2006 I have same problem with my Linea. The issue is with Radiator. I could not diagnose where exactly was the leak with normal daily inspection. Went to nearby garage and checked radiator carefully. There was a very small leak which was barely noticeable but it was enough to drain all coolant within 100 km drive.
    Now my car is almost 6 yrs old. I have always serviced it from FASS. This is the first time I am thinking about replacing radiator and hose pipes from nearby garage. Can anyone recommend good reliable FNG near PCMC area ?