1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Update - My Linea is at FASC, Indore (Sanghi Bros) for the problem of Oil Cooling Heat Exchanger (not the pump, as mentioned before). FASC wrote for approval to replace under Ext War, but FIAT declined stating that service at 15000 and 30000 kms were not done as scheduled and coolant was not changed after 24 months (or 60k whichever is earlier - My odometer reads 29k now).

I got my Linea serviced at 5k, after one year and then after 2 years (free services) as per scheduled (within stipulated period / km) and my service book shows the entries. FASC told FIAT apparently could not find these in their online record. I am not sure if coolant was replaced during 3rd service (24 months). If FASC did not replace the coolant during 3rd service, is it not the mistake on FASC's part?

Actually, FASC persons don't make entries in owners service manual saying that they have the record. Lucky that I got the entries in my service book.

Now FASC has written to FIAT with copy of my service book entries and I am waiting for the reply.

Can anyone here help? Guide? Should I contact FIAT? In fact I was going to write as suggested by asimpleson, but FASC told to wait till they get a reply.

Ravi_M
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i dont see there should be any problem to your ride.I'm driving my punto for more than 50K Kms with that color of coolant tank.Anyways as you have initiated,get it done.

Anything comes to warranty, we always need to fight,isnt it :D .
  3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Ganges, if checked this thread correctly, there are reports of oil mixing in coolant and members viewed this to be looked into immediately. How come you have not faced any problem?

Anyway, some update about the Ext Warranty issue - While waiting for reply from FIAT, I wrote to FIAT Service after my last report of Monday. They soon asked my details and I got a call in the evening one Mr Akshay asking the details of my grievance. He told that FIAT will take this with our local FASC and inform me today, as Tuesday was a local holiday (Rang-Panchami).

Today, though I haven't heard from FIAT, my FASC person informed that FIAT has approved replacement of heat-exchanger under Ext Warranty. I hope to pick-up my vehicle tomorrow.

Indecently, as my Linea nears to complete 3 years May-end, with this oil-coolant mixing problem, the engine oil / filter/--- etc and the coolant shall be replaced now itself. It is a paid service, since my car had only 2-year's main warranty. This will cost ~7.5k+. Is that OK?

Bye,

Ravi_M
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you please detail what are the problems like ? few of them.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Ganges,
    From my first post
    << I was to make a trip to Rajasthan last month, so I went to FASC for check-up. The SA noted that coolant was colourless (diluted, my be due to top-ups using water) and advised to drain and replace it. So I got the coolant in my Linea MJD replaced for the first time. It is a May 2012 car. The FASC had only 2 l coolant (paraflu) instead of required 4 l, so they added normal water to it. He told me to add more coolant after the trip. The coolant colour was pink when I started my journey. While returning, once vehicle seemed to have lost power at a toll-naka. I noticed that the coolant in the tank was not pink anymore, but darkish. There were no indications on console. Soon after, I started the engine and it picked up and we completed the journey smoothly. The temp needle was at the center, as usual. It was a travel of about 1000 km. After a week, I took the car to FASC and the SA immediately told me to leave the car there and not to drive it.>>

I won't say that I faced any problem as such, but coolant colour was almost black and when checked it appeared to have oil mixed in it. As I mentioned, there are posts in this thread stating similar problem. I need inputs from those who faced this or a related problem. Why should SA advise not to drive the vehicle?

Ravi_M
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Why should SA advise not to drive the vehicle?

To get a business out of you. :D

i really doubt if there was any issues in your Linea. The color turns, if you add normal water or tap water to the Coolant.Lets wait and hear from experts or if anyone have experienced the after effect of this change in color,from my side i never faced any issues, driven for more than 6+ hours continously.didnt saw any malfunction.
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    FASS replaced the oil-heat-exchanger replaced as goodwill (I don't like that!). I received a call on March 13 from Fiat (Pune?) informing this. I took delivery of my Linea on Sat. March 14. The SA had put borewell water in place of coolant saying that I should drive for about 200 km and then they will check for leak and then fill coolant. However, they drained it and filled the DM water (5 litres) I had taken with me bought from a friend's battery outlet (they keep stock). I am sure this is better than the borewell water.

My car is running fine and I haven't noticed any colouration in coolant so far. Planning to visit Shegaon on Gudi Padwa.
  8. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Dear all, I wanted to understand the proper procedure for complete coolant change. The simple procedure is to open the drain cock at the bottom left of radiator and let the old coolant drain out, then shut it close, open the bleed valve on the top right and fill with PARAFLU UP only. Now, my concern is a little different.With this method, around 2 liters of old coolant will still remain in engine block, as it is isolated from the radiator circuit by the thermostat, which is shut during this replacement process. I am planning to do a complete flush, even from the engine block, and refill with Paraflu. How to proceed? Will be either DIY or at FNG. Which hose to open at the thermostat coupling for draining out the entire coolant from the block? Or is there a better way? I know that just the drain cock method is fine, but I want a complete change. The other question: if the block is emptied, how will the coolant be put in the block for the first time? Or, is it best to not mess with the block at all, just replace with new coolant as per standard process?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    "Draining the radiator alone normally should remove 40 to 45% of the coolant. After the first drain, fill the system as well as you can with water, then warm up the engine and let it cool. Drain the radiator again and fill it once more with water. Repeat."

Copy pasted from google search...
    puntophile likes this.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    No need to mess with block replace coolant as usually done.
    Only method that I know to drain coolant 100% is by removing water pump.
    puntophile and punto11 like this.