1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tash22

tash22 Timido

Bangalore
    Hi Everyone, Please can anyone guide me about how to get the Paraflu Up Engine Coolant from a retail store in South Bangalore because the coolant level in my Punto 2012 is dangerously low.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @tash22
    The question is why it is so low? Unless it has not been topped up in your last service or there is a leakage some where. Please get it rectified at FASS. Also contact FASS guys, they might have an unused 200-300ml left over with them.
  3. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got late to post back. Cooling assembly changed. Emgine oil topped up . But they just filled in water for coolant. It was suggested to empty out water and fill teh regular coolant in after a week of run. Just incase to avoid any reisdual oil traces to clear. So far no problem. But i havent got the coolanr refilled yet. WOuld do soon
  4. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I got my car serviced on 21.01.2015 where in as per the bill the SC has used premix coolant 5 litres. On 25th I traveled around 1000 kms to my native place in Karnataka. On 28th morning While replacing my Headlight, I saw that the coolant tank was empty. My engine temperature had not increased any time beyond the half mark during the journey. Worried, I called the service advisor to check regarding why there is no coolant in the tank. I was told there might be a leakage some where. He asked me to fill the tank with water and check if there is a leakage. Next day I checked and found that there was no change in the coolant level, hence it was confirmed there is no leakage. I traveled back to Mumbai i.e another 1000 kms the next day with out any issue.

I asked the service advisor regarding how there was no coolant in the tank. To which he replied that it might have happened due to air trapped inside during filling. Is this possible? Do you think now its advisable to flush the whole coolant and ask them to fill fresh coolant as the present one is mixed with normal tap water.
    Thanks
    Kiran
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^Let me try to explain. What you are referring to as coolant tank is more accurately called coolant expansion/overflow tank/reservoir. Hence the quantity of coolant that we see in it is only a part of the total amount of coolant present in the cooling system of the car. The coolant passes through the radiator, engine, hoses etc so quite an amount of it is present in these parts.

Hence even if we find the overflow tank to be empty it does not always imply that the cooling system is empty. This is the reason the temperature did not rise in your case.

Also what the SA said was probably correct because sometimes air gets trapped in the cooling system due to which at the time of filling overflow tank gives wrong impression that cooling system is full. With some driving when trapped air escapes, the overflow tank may become empty although there would be good quantity of coolant in the system.

About topping with normal water i guess it it fine as the water would evaporate after some time again bringing the level down. I guess just keeping an eye on the level and topping up with coolant when level is down should be fine. do you remember how much water you had put?
    kirenh likes this.
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Shams very well explained.
    I had put approx 2.0 litres of water. Is there a way to check & remove the air traped in the system.

Kiran
  7. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @kirenh firstly remember whenever you top up coolant tank with water always use demineralized water and not normal tap water, hope you have done it that way. There is no way as such to remove air trap, it gets released with due usage, usually within a day or two you can see the coolant level dipped thereby indicating air trap is gone. It's always better to get extra 200-300 ml of coolant along with you whenever you get coolant replaced as you can use it to compensate for loss due to air trap.
    kirenh likes this.
  8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @mangeshtendulkar I have used filtered drinking water which I carry in the car. I was atleast 200 kms away from the nearest service centre, hence getting the required coolant was just impossible unless from a Maruti service centre :).
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,
    They say "Bakare ki Maa kab tak khair manayegi?", so I am here with my first problem. I was to make a trip to Rajasthan last month, so I went to FASS for check-up. The SA noted that coolant was colourless (diluted, my be due to top-ups using water) and advised to drain and replace it. So I got the coolant in my Linea MJD replaced for the first time. It is a May 2012 car. The FASS had only 2 l coolant (paraflu) instead of required 4 l, so they added normal water to it. He told me to add more coolant after the trip. The coolant colour was pink when I started my journey. While returning, once vehicle seemed to have lost power at a toll-naka. I noticed that the coolant in the tank was not pink anymore, but darkish. There were no indications on console. Soon after, I started the engine and it picked up and we completed the journey smoothly. The temp needle was at the center, as usual. It was a travel of about 1000 km. After a week, I took the car to TASS and the SA immediately told me to leave the car there and not to drive it. He informed that oil-coolant-pump must have failed and needs replacement. He told that engine oil is getting mixed with the coolant and this could have stalled the engine anywhere. The item costs around 4.5 k and is covered in the extended warranty. It will take 10 days to get the part from Pune after pre-approval.

Any comments / advice?

I hope this is not the beginning of a bigger problem.

Ravi
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The problem is caught well in time, so hope for the best @Ravi_M. Please email Fiat and inform them about this issue as a feedback and also ask for them to look into it for quicker and sure shot service resolution. Take the FASC into confidence before emailing Fiat.