1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Guys,

I got my T-Jet's first free service done from Pandit Automotives, Pune this Saturday 27th Sep. I observed drop in coolant levels and during service checks, FASS found a very minor leak in coolant line. SA recommended replacement of Coolant Plate (under warranty), currently coolant level is max and I have been suggested to come back this week to get the part replaced. Wanted to know whether its safe to ride the car in such situations? I continue to check the coolant level daily for past 2 days and haven't observed a observable drop in coolant levels. Any guidance folks?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 29, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 29, 2014 ---
    Guys any suggestions??
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If coolant is not dropping, it should be ok to use for sometime. Just keep an eye and top-up if required.
  3. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Thanks @Ravi. Actually I need to visit Mumbai this weekend without fail hence bit worried if I don't get the concerned part replaced by then. On safe side I have got a can of coolant along-with and plan to top-up coolant if drop in level is observed.
  4. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi gurji sir. Im not able topost a new thread after the new avatar of the website. Current issue : i travelled from delhi to amritsar. Was to travel back today evening. Notic black oil dab below engine compartment. Opened the bonnet to find the cooland swelled up to brim and black like used engine oil. Felt like oil too. Im clueless. Can u please guide me over it. Im so very anxiousbecause of this. Will take it to FASS tomorrow morning. Could u u suggest something. I am so very scared of this new trouble. I m not sure how expensive this is gonna be...please help
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oil mixing with coolant could be some serious issue, get it checked. There could be some leak.
  6. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I Checked out with the FASS. They said the oil cooler needs to b replaced. The mix of of engine oil with water(coolant) is due to the cooler failure. I couldnt understand the link of coolant mixing with the engine oil due to cooler failure but thats wat they said. They would changecthe whole cooler assembly. need to understand the phenomenon they r explaining. Anyone can help here???
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Its a known issue in all cars equipped with Multijet engine due to which Maruti have even removed the cooler unit from their best seller Swift.
    Just ensure SC flush the oil completely from cooling system which is very difficult.
    It can be a manufacturing defect or failure due to corrosion. How old is your car and was coolant ever topped up or replaced in your car
    sanfiat likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What can be done in cars that have not had this issue to prevent this problem ?
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Ensure that hard tap water is not poured in cooling system. If coolant is concentrated type like SC used to use earlier use distilled water to mix or use ready to use premix coolant which SC use now a days.
    Acids form in engine oil and it can eat away parts but without any oil analysis one can not be sure after how many kms its enough to hurt parts, If car is driven mostly in city with stop go traffic change the oil a little early than recommended 15k interval.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hi thanks. Car is jusy 3 yrs old. Serviced 3 months back. So coolant must have been level checked. Now these guys told me they wud be replacing the oil cooler assembly, fill up engine oil and coolant.does this still need flushing?. Do they have to do anything on the engine , any flushing or so. Could someone explain how this cooler failure lead to engine oil filling up the coolant box and overflow? ...all you folks have been so nice to help out ...thanks all