1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    For timing chain replacement, they drain all the coolant and refill the same after the work is done. When coolant is refilled, there are airgaps in the coolant lines and the air gaps are removed only when the Engine fully heats up.

Conclusion is that coolant level is expected to go down after Timing chain replacement, just pick up a coolant bottle at the SC adn refill and monitor for the next week or so. If coolant level goes down again, it's a leak. If it stays intact, you are all set.

If the SC is far away and you do not want to go back, go to a nearby battery shop and pick up a bottle of distilled water and fill in the coolant reservoir, absolutely no issues with that.

Hope that clarifies.
    2 people like this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Good that you noticed the coolant level bala. Fill up with coolant immediately and drive to the ASC while you have an eye on the needle level. Very important. If it shoots high, simply stop and call for assistance It is most probably a slow leak or may just need a refill. You have caught it at the right time or else, it could have been one more horror story in your relationship with your car, and worse if you had a problem on your way to chennai to visit one of the resturants.:) You can even have an eye on the floor of your garage in the morning to confirm if it is a leak

Abdul
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala,

Please check this suggestion, a very basic one as mentioned in post #198 on this thread..

I think it's time to get hold of some expert local mechanic who can dig deep and diagnose car issues for you Bala. The very location of FASC as you mentioned sometime back in your posts makes things further difficult for you it seems, with minor issues that could be potentially significant troubles for car.

Note to MODs: Kindly move Coolant queries and replies to relevant technical threads.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    With my experience, whenever there is coolant replacement, it goes down in next week or so. Once you top it up, it will be ok, or will go down little more and one more top-up in next 2-3 weeks, it will stay well till next replacement.

If you notice the quantity they put while replacement is couple of liters less that full capacity, I guess it doesn't take it in full capacity, and as mentioned above, could be due to air gaps.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks vj,Abdul,simpleson,Ravi for the information,it was helpful and gives peace of mind.
    I will fill up the coolant tank and see.
    I bent down and saw below the car and there is no leak :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If the leak can be figured out it's best. I mean if there is a drop of coolant visible somewhere it's easy to identify and fix the source.

The problem with slow leaks is that coolant evaporates as it drips along the radiators or pipes carrying it. It's the slow killer.
    Keep observing closely for next few weeks as and when possible.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Like i said, no need to panic. It's due to the coolant removal and refill during the timing chain replacement.

Just top with distilled water and you should be all set. Also, when you next visit the service center pick up a bottle of coolant and keep at home for future use.

Or you can buy here. The Paraflu that costs 199 is READY UP which does not need to be diluted, the one that costs 299 is a concentrate and needs to be diluted with Distilled water.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I called the Pondicherry FASS and told them the problem and requested them to send me the coolant to my place since driving the car to service centre would heat up the engine since the coolant level is gone down to minimum level.They obliged and sent me 2 litres of paraflu and I paid Rs.735 including labour,though it is my driver who will fill it up.No issues with the bill, I only appreciate their response in sending me a spare 44 kms away.
    Would have been better though,if they had recommended this purchase at the time of clutch kit change sensing that the coolant level will go down after the job.
    For once a happy Fiat customer, touch wood.
  9. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I'm using a red coolant from Wurth. It lasts and lasts. Class of a coolant!
    regards
    Amit
  10. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    hi fiatians. has anyone tried doing coolant change by yourself? i need to change the coolant and steering oil in my 2011 punto. since there is no Fiat service neaarby i shall have to do it myself, local mechanics are not aware of the procedure. i have some experience with tools and if someone guides me i can do it myself. i will buy the coolant from 99rpm and try. please help.