1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Apt information Asimpleson, Thanks for that .. Coolant is one critical component and one area where i keep a keen eye as part of regular inspection. The change in behavior of needle, reaching quicker operating temperature post service, The coolant being in deep pink were all the reasons why i basically start my questions around.

With this said, one can easily vouch that as per service guidelines update, Pre-mix coolant top up has been made standard and requires no additional distilled water top up s, unless one is using a pre 201e manufactured para flu concentrate with 60:40 (Water:Coolant) proportion.

Will post photograph on the paraflu can and the reservoir shortly and additional pictures on various dirvign conditions.
  2. bkpabi

bkpabi Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi All,
    I have few question regarding coolant checkups
    1. How frequently should we check our coolant levels?
    2. What are the symptoms that indicates the coolant level is low?
    3. If we found that coolant level is low how should we take care of it?
    a - Do it your self
    b- Do it at your fiat service center
    c - Do it at any local car service center
    4. What is normal position of the heat meter? is it ok to have it in the middle or it should stay below that?
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3

1. Check the coolant level in plastic bottle in engine bay.
    2. If coolant is very low the engine temperature needle can shoot very high in no time.
    Also the coolant bottle needs to be checked in the engine bay for low or no levels of coolant.
    3. If level is low park the car aside.
    Arrange for a) coolant premix or b) concentrated coolant + water in 40:60 proportion. or c) Only water - last option for emergency only.
    a. - It is a do it yourself. Or can ask an road side mechanic how to do it. But when in SC they can ensure that any trapped air etc. in coolant circulation is released.
    b. - Ideally always at Fiat service center, or yourself if you are confident. Original 'Paraflu' coolant recommended by Fiat for our cars.
    c. - Yes you can do it at any local car service center, who have atleast one person who knows fiat cars well and can understand,
    diagnose and supervise your Fiat car for coolant related issues.
    4. Needle position in the middle mark or below it is also Ok. Except if external climate is pretty high and humid and the engine is run under serious stress at high speeds, the needle could move towards more higher positions. In which case the car needs to be stopped. Coolant rechecked (cap not to be opened when hot, as it can injure skin and eyes seriously) and coolant topped up again if levels are too low or no coolant is there. If such an incident happens immediately show the car to garage or SC that you trust and make sure the coolant levels dont drop too often.
    [HR][/HR]TIP: When travelling on long roads scarce of mechanics and auto shops, always carry a 4-5 litres Plastic Can filled with clean water. Or in worst case use tap water if possible from somewhere. A plastic funnel with particle filter helps while refilling keeping unwanted unsoluble particles from entering and clogging the cooling system.

If you see water spilling on road post refilling there could be some leakage. Which could mean one needs to call road-side assistance or getting help from a mechanic who can fix the problem. A blown head gasket can be a prior or after effect of such a problem. The car in worst cases can be driven to ones needed destination with frequent top ups and with extreme care at slow speeds and very mild acceleration. But there is always too much risk of damage to the engine at such juncture also. So by book it is a strict no-no. Best to get help for the car or towing it to nearest auto-garage.

By no means should one ever keep a car running with a leaky radiator, unless it's something as serious as a medical emergency and the car is the only means of transport needed urgently in such situations. But fixing a leaking radiator assumes top priority for any car, especially if it is diesel powered.
    1 person likes this.
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Effect of excess coolant?

Will the excessive coolant cause any harm? Apart from overflowing, what other effects can excessive coolant cause?
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Excessive coolant will either spill off on road during excessive pressure built up via the cap or some extra drain pipe that are fitted in some cars. Nothing much to be alarmed about but care must be taken to keep it at max level marked or recommended.

When everything's coming your way you are in the wrong lane .. ! :p
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    thanks for the response. In the case of Linea does it flow out or it has to be taken out manually.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Flowing out will happen if excess pressure is not contained, which is not ideal, kinda a bit bad.

Excess coolant can be removed, I am sure the SC guys know that well. The pipe circlips need to be tightened or replaced well in such a case.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Slow Coolant Level Drop

coolant leak.jpg

[HR][/HR]
    There was a very slow level drop of coolant, even after topping it twice within 2 months.

The culprit was a small fastening clip that brings the coolant back to reservoir. Shifting it seems to work for now. Will post later if there are further coolant leaks happening.

Can anyone point out further common leak prone areas of MJD's coolant sytem for Punto and Lineas..?

Opening new thread to discuss possible coolant leak areas to check as experienced by TFIans. Mods please decide otherwise to merge if needed.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Another possible source is the pin hole in the hose itself. I have seen a many a times the coolant leaking due to overfilling or the cap not shut tightly. The bad part is the spillage of the coolant on the hot engine which can result in fumes and a wrong panicky situation.

It happened once when I was refilling air for my Activa at a BPCL bunk when suddenly there was a cloud of smoke coming from the bonnet of a Verna (old) which was getting refulled and the petrol pump attendants were running helter skelter to find the fire extinguisher when the fumes were actually due to coolant spillage on hot engine.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Not really offtopic,coolant level in my linea has come down to the minimum level just after being filled up 2 weeks back.My car had a csc, clutch kit and timing belt change then, is it normal for the coolant to be used up so soon after these parts are changed or is there a leak.Temperature level in the gauge has also gone above midline.Should I just fill up the coolant again or is it necessary to get a check up done.
    Very sad since it's only 2 weeks since my car is back from A.S.S after a tussle and mail exchanges with Fiat.