1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Radiator water temp needle - query

For my vehicle Diesel Punto, i got done my second year 30,000km service done recently. Post taking delivery, after a cold Start, the pattern in which the Radiator Water temp needle rises up to optimal operating temperature has changed.

1. I am realizing that, post delivery the radiator water temp needle is climbing to operating temp (Dot center) earlier than originally it used to rise. I gauged this with pre defined distance which i am aware after a cold start, Why this change in behavior ??

2. Unable to conclude, i checked for coolant leaks and visible spots in engine bay, All i could see was the coolant level during engine operation was at the low mark. After 30 mins of turning off the engine i opened the cap.

3. There was a release in pressure and some more coolant returned back to the reservoir there by increasing the coolant level now. Could this be vaccum or air lock as a result of which coolant was not flowing through the critical systems freely ? How much tight should i secure the cap ?

4.I was told in the affirmative by the service advisor that the coolant topped was a pre mix one and does not need any distilled water top ups. As a result of that pre mix top up the coolant is bright pink as against light pink earlier? Will pre mix coolant alone not harm the engine, acc to me some amount of distilled water top up is mandatory ? pl clarify.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Sriram,

1>I am not sure if I have understood your 1st question correctly, all I can tell if the Needle does not crosses the Half way mark(Dot center if you prefer) then it is perfectly normal. ::T

2>After service please ensure you have even the underbody and engine bay cleaned up because there can be stains of coolant which happened during the change, if you see no drop on the floor below then no cause of worry. ::T

3>Just a small advice, Never Open the Radiator Cap when the Engine is Hot or Warm, this causes air bubbles to get formed which is not a good sign
    The coolant travel a lot of places inside and it gets disrupted if there’s air bubbles.
    Also the bad effect of opening the Radiator Cap when it is hot is the Cap has a Pressure sealant to maintain adequate pressure inside, if there is a leak from the Cap which is almost impossible to see through our naked eye then there won’t be any pressure inside and hence no flow.

4>I had conversation with Mangesh sometime ago on this Topic.
    What I had observed was for a 7.5 liter capacity they used almost 6 liters of Concentrated Coolant and no distilled water, this is a serious cause of worry for 2 reasons,
    1[SUP]st[/SUP] to fill the gap of a liter or 2 the ASS put in normal Tap water again there was a big chance of sand/dust particles getting inside the system which can cause a lot issues as over a period of time there can be blockages.
    2[SUP]nd[/SUP] important worry is fully concentrated Coolant inside and no much water.
    Mangesh acknowledged this and he stated they will look into this and now we have the Pre-Mix coolant avatar....
    This means no need to worry about adding water or making our own ratios, use the same quality of coolant mix as how it was when left the factory floor.

I have also requested 99 RPM and now even they have listed on their products under Service so getting this is now easy else you can still pick it from your ASS.

The best way of checking the level of the Coolant is when the Engine is cold/not started. If you confirm that the level is at MIN or in between MIN-MAX you can directly put in the coolant by Safely opening the Cap and until the level reaches Max.

Hope this thread was helpful.

:ugeek:
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    > Cannot agree more on your points numer 1 and 2.
    > Am really concerned of the same thing to have happened as to what you have mentioned for point 4.
    > Yes, for your point 3, i want t notify that it was my mistake and haste in troubleshooting the issue, one grace here was the engine was left to cool for 30 mins, and then opened not when piping hot , still you made a very valid advice there, point noted
    > I already have a blue can of Paraflu for emergency purposes which states to mix distilled water also and never it mentioned any where it s a premix. That is the clraification to be done. How come pre mix do justice without a tinge of water in it. Have the concentration of the current day paraflu that is different from the ones sold 2 years before ?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The 1 liter blue can of Paraflu is premixed. No need to dilute. I remember seeing it mentioned some where on the can. I will check and confirm later today. earlier, they used to sell 1 liter concentrated coolant. Not sure if it is still available.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Sure FiatLover, my bad, i will cross check and post photograph if needed to remove confusion at the earliest. Thanks for the heads up.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/service-c...clusive-kht-fiat-bangalore-33.html#post144386

40% Paraflu up + 60% distilled water, total of 7.6 ltrs as per post above. Kindly verify the same.
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

Question here is , whether the 40%:60% coolant vs distilled water is already pre-mixed while it comes sealed and there is no necessity for the technicians to do the mix manually. This is what they claim to be "pre-mx". Not sure if this is a new initiative or had it been there since long. The post you had pointed to is from some end of 2012's. NOt sure who will clarify this deadlock question. pre-mix vs conc coolant.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Any air that is trapped in the circulation system can be released, there is provision for the same. When the engine is hot it can be done, but not by opening the reservoir cap which you know is dangerous. The cap must be turned fully in a secured manner, as per indication on the cap. One need not push it more after a twist or two. Air is not supposed to be released through the cap. The coolant mix will spill on the fan and other areas in engine bay making a mess if there is over-heating due to air lock. Is the engine temp going on higher side, i.e. above 50% mark after say about 20-30 mins of running in varied conditions. If so then coolant and circulation needs to be checked. Else if the needle comes up fast that is not a reason to be concerned about.

Pre mix will not harm the engine. As far as paraflu is used there should not be a problem. Water ratio is important and paraflu is designed mainly as an anti-freeze for sub zero temperatures for allowing the fluids to move about freely on engine start-up. It is made, tested for europeon cold climate conditions.

In India most regions we do not have the freezing problem. The other thing that a coolant does is reduce scaling or deposit built-up in the radiator etc. along with rapid heat dissipation which is a more relevant concern for us.

Pre-mix is a mix at the factory where 100% pre-mix can be used. Concentrate should however be mixed with water in 40:60 ratio as mentioned in post earlier.

- - - Merged Post - - -

One just needs to confirm that the solution used in car is a proper pre-mix and not a botch-up by a service guys to put in much more concentrate and less water. Pre-mix is ready to use as name suggest and need not be further diluted. But as per fiat specs they say Paraflu + distilled water in 40:60 ratio.
    So to be safe one should buy paraflu up and add water as per recommendation.

However pre-mix works perfect, if not diluted further to save costs as done by many service centers, also because of the chalta-hai attitude.
    2 people like this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I just checked the writings on Paraflu UP Ready 1 liter can in my car. It says "Ready to use coolant". Does that mean it is pre-mixed? I dont know. :)

I use it as is and dont dilute it.
    1 person likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    PARAFLU UP READY — already mixed with de-ionised water (50%)

Following is the description I found on their site.
    PETRONAS Lubricants International

Ready to use protective fluid for radiators. Monoethylene glycol base, formulated with organic inhibitors based on O.A.T. (Organic Acid Technology). PARAFLU UP READY is a specific protective fluid for the cooling systems that contain innovative light alloy materials.

CHARACTERISTICS

Advanced stringent laboratory tests by PLI show that PARAFLU UP READY meets all requirements even in extreme running conditions.

PARAFLU UP READY is a protective fluid developed for best results already mixed with de-ionised water (50%) to allow:

• The maintenance of the protecting characteristics of the inhibitor agents.
    • Optimal heat removal from the engine combustion chamber.
    • The maximum protection against: - Cavitation and electrical discharge; - Freezing (down to external temperatures of -40°C); - Limescale formation; - Boiling in the warm periods, traffic, city journeys (circuit temperature up to +125°C); - Excessive swelling of rubbers and plastic in the circuit; - Formation of deposits in the circuit also in conditions of exasperated exercise.

Specification

• CUNA NC 956-16
    • ASTM D 3306 Type 3
    • Note: Product packaging may vary in certain markets.

Hope this helps. :)
    1 person likes this.