1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hello everyone,

Atlast TASC identified my problem.. it is a coolant leak from the hose connected to EGR valve????.it will be replaced under warranty...I will get my car back probably on tomorrow.. please suggest what are the reasons for this fault. my car has clocked only 14850 kms so far.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

hello everyone,

Atlast TASC identified my problem.. it is a coolant leak from the hose connected to EGR valve????.it will be replaced under warranty...I will get my car back probably on tomorrow.. please suggest what are the reasons for this fault. my car has clocked only 14850 kms so far.
  2. helloo friends,,

TASC said that they have rectified the problem....but now after 600 kms the coolant level is slowly coming down..???? is it normal..technician says that some loss is normal as it evaporates... he says if it goes below minimum, bring the vehicle back..will again check it...BUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO FIND OUT, WHAT THEY COULDN'T MAKE OUT EVEN AFTER CHECKING THE CAR FOR 4 DAYS AT CONCORDE,COCHIN.??? PLEASE HELP...I AM WORRIED OVER THE ISSUE....THIS IS ALMOST DRAINING MY ENERGY.....:(

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

helloo friends,,

TASC said that they have rectified the problem....but now after 600 kms the coolant level is slowly coming down..???? is it normal..technician says that some loss is normal as it evaporates... he says if it goes below minimum, bring the vehicle back..will again check it...BUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO FIND OUT, WHAT THEY COULDN'T MAKE OUT EVEN AFTER CHECKING THE CAR FOR 4 DAYS AT CONCORDE,COCHIN.??? PLEASE HELP...I AM WORRIED OVER THE ISSUE....THIS IS ALMOST DRAINING MY ENERGY.....:(
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If it is immediately after the hose was replaced, i think it is fine. It may be because of the coolant displacing the air in the replaced hose. Top up the coolant to the max level, run a few Kms with AC on, and then check for any drop in level. If the level still drops, it needs to be checked. BTW, did you notice any leakage marks on any of the pipes, on the engine guard, or the floor?
    In my case they replaced the entire radiator hose (Rs750). Please check the previous page for pictures.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Advice needed... Coolant below LOW level, car barely run 1800kms.2012 MJD

Hi all,

Attached please find the pic of coolant level on my Punto MJD 2012 model that has barely run 1850KMS. I noticed it suddenly, as i felt there will not be such issues. Now that it is below LOW I am unable to come to conclusion as to what could be the reason, The Radiator coolant temperature is always @ middle with ALWAYS AC ON, could not find any visible leakages in the basement where the vehicle is parked daily.

I know this is abnormal, are there any other troubleshooting methods to pinpoint the problem, it saps my energy and time..Suggest me if i can drive @ all @ this juncture...

photo_003.jpg
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Is this level on a cold engine?

If yes, just get it topped with the correct coolant+water mix from TASS. You can drive around normally, no issues, till you get it topped up.

Cheers.
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Yes the picture was taken when the engine was cold, i dont feel this to be a normal phenomena, i remember you saying healthy engines should not loose coolant, i am not tech savvy enough on Punto to analyze the problem myself.

Have any of you encountered such an occurrence.
  7. please refer to my posts dear sriram..Most of the puntos lose coolant slowly, even with out any noticeable leaks.. You should be alert if the decrease in level happens suddenly, say after a few kms.. top it up with the prescribed ratio and keep on watching..
  8. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Mr. GopuShankar,

I was a little lethargic by depending too much on the vehicle itself as it was brand new. i dont know where to source the coolant from, will it be available from the TASS counters ? Shall i a take a dedicated appointment and ask the guys to inspect the pathway for leaks ?

It was shocking to note the coolant going below minimum when the car had just run 1860km on odo...
  9. It was too difficult here in kerala to procure the coolant from TASS as they won't sell it outside. but I managed to get one litre bottle from concorde after they repaired the coolant leak near EGR valve..SA told me to keep the remaining coolant with me and top it up when needed..You should first of all rule out any leaks. make an appointment with the TASS.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks for your valuable inputs Sankar, How should the coolant system behave when it has leak near EGR valve, will there be a gradual decrease in coolant level, or will it be apparent while on the move or will the level decrease rapidly even after frequent top ups.

I have no dates from TAFE reach guys till May 10th which is when i intend to give it for First Free Service As well. I have requested them for a top up tomorrow as right now they don't have a window to take up my case as an exclusive appointment, already booked till next Tuesday.

So as first step shall i get it topped it up and look for any decrease upon subsequent use ???.. yesterday with a 4 km drive i could not see a decrease in level and it is steady as it was in the pic..

Awaiting for your inputs in this regard thanks in advance