1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I suspect it is leakage because coolant level is dropping faster. And there are coolant dried up marks on the pipe points and also on the engine guard plate. But I don't see any marks on the floor where I park the car. Does the leakage happen only while the car is running?
    In any case, I am hoping to fix the resolve the issue today. I have left my car at Concorde.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

The culprit seems to have been the lower hose and needs to be replaced according to TASS. Costs Rs 700 appx (part no:5904165). While the cooling system is covered under extended warranty, the hose is not. My car is still at Concorde, and will be back only tomorrow. Need to see how this damage was caused and the extent of damage.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Lucknow
    Any updates ?
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The radiator hoses were damaged. The entire pipe had to be replaced. Earlier, there was major leak, especially when AC is on. Now after replacing the pipes, leakage has stopped. I will post a picture of the part replaced later today or tomorrow. No clue how the pipes were damaged, they tried to claim that it was becuase of rats. Unconvinced, I tried to ask them why leak is happening only at clamped joints, but no use. I have run 100 kms after the repair, all seem to be well now.
    Difference between old time mechanics and modern day service professionals. The former identifies the fault and repairs the part to fix the issue, while the latter replaces the part to resolve the issue!
  4. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Mumbai
    Got the coolant problem solved in my GP.

The Lover Radiator Hose has been replaced under warranty along with 1liter of Coolant filled under warranty. Got this done on 16th Feb. Was told by the mechanic that the coolant level will fall initially as some will flow in the pipes and asked me to top up with water before starting the next morning ensuring that it was till max level.

After that have driven the car from Mumbai to Matheran (Round trip 200 km) and in bumper to bumper traffic in Mumbai, no decrease in coolant level.

IMG-20120216-00777.jpg IMG-20120216-00778.jpg
    IMG-20120216-00779.jpg IMG-20120216-00780.jpg

5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Dont understand why TASS behave differently in diffrent places. in your case they replaced the whose under warranty, but Concorde asked me to bear the cost ! There is no unified policy?
  6. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Mumbai
    I agree with you fiatlover, there is no clear policy. The SA first told me that I would have to bear the cost of coolant flush out (Rs. 300), some pressure thingy and 3 liters of coolant. Then this happens.:confused:
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My coolant level is slightly above the max. mark, when the engine is hot and when the engine is cold, it is slightly(by 1mm) below the max. level.

Does it indicate any problem?
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Not only behave but they also believe differently. My SA told there should be a small amount of leak which is normal.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @mvb4u it doesn't indicate any problem
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank You Vijay