1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Post your engine coolant queries here

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sungoa2010, Jul 20, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The ratio of water and coolant mentioned in Manual is important. I had found twice that service people were using water for toping up coolant. This can be done only on emergency. The temperature absorbing capacity of water and coolant liquids are different. So by diluting with water than the prescribed ration will end up changing the working temperature of engines. Also I read from forums that coolant liquid is rust inhibitor and diluting it will cause premature coolant pump failure(Experts can explain it more). Also tap water should not be used since the minerals in it will crystallize inside the radiator and can plug the radiator. I have the following doubts.
    1.Do we have to use hot water for mixing coolant?
    2.Does all Fiat use same type of coolant from their launch? This is important since one should not mix different coolants.
    3. When I compare my alto with Fiat I found the coolant chamber has more air bubbles. Is it common with all users?
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Distilled water should do as far as I understand. It is used in acid-lead batteries too.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

1) No. No nned hot water. Use distilled water.

2) Use regular Coolent. " Paraflu" red colored. It is available in both. Pure & Concentrated (Ready-mix with Distilled water)

3) These are not air bubbles. It is condensation of water.
    If coolent is jumping with air bubles at the time of reving engine,then possibility of leakege of blow-by-gas in Coolent chamber.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A coolant top up, although it should be rare in these new age engines, should be done only in the correct coolant-water ratio as given in the manual.

The service guys, all, have a habit of topping up only with water at times and saying, ''saaar, nothing will happen''.

A way out is to keep a 1 or 2 litre bottle filled with coolant-water mix, in the right proportion at all times in your car. And in the rare circumstance that you may need a topup, or during an exigency, the bottle will come handy.;)

The coolant mix will not degrade when kept in a tightly shut bottle.

Gurjinder.
    2 people like this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Gurjinder. In the container it is printed 50-50 coolant water mix ratio. But manual says 40-60%. I think manual might be using the Europian specifications.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Sungoa2010 thank you so much for starting this thread. I am getting lots of information from this thread.
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Im facing a coolant issue offlate.The level goes down below minimum very fast.If i top up till maximum after a week or so it falls down below minimum.What could be the issue?? :(
  8. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    40 -60% for initial fill and 50-50 for top up
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Recently I faced the same problem. My coolant was at minimum. I toped it up at TASS(with water!) to maximum. After that I had travelled 2K and now it has slightly decreased. coolant comes back to the container because of vacum and if there is some leak it may not come back freely. Check whether cap is tight. I thought of monitering it and will report it in my second service. In your case since since it is coming done in a week , better to show it to TASS as early as possible. check your engine oil also.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Aaron, did you check when the engine was cold, as in before starting in the morning.

Whenever, topping up, make sure the level stays between MAX and MIN, as stated in the manual. Coolant, when hot, comes under great pressures and needs space to move around. That's why make sure the level stays between MAX and MIN, when cold.

That said, losing coolant is worrisome. Did you check for leaks? Open up the engine oil filler cap and see underneath. You should see only engine oil traces. If you see some chocolatey gooey stuff, let us know.

Gurjinder