1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible to reduce Diesel's NVH like dampening during ICE?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PaddleShifter, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually damping is the process of adding a bit of weight with acoustic materials to cut down the vibrations and resonances.

DAmping sheets are available at leading ICE installers / you can get bulk sheets from Wurth which are cheaper than other damping sheets
  2. jishnu
    you can get them at these car accessories shops where ics is done.
    they have good stocks of these damping materials
  3. Unless some one has huge woofer,these may not be required in Punto/Linea, remember once you put these sheets behind door panels it will be difficult to remove them for any kind of maintenance work.Wurth is nothing but tar or bitumen.
    My understanding is these are required to stop the vibrations of the penals due to deep bass from the woofer or speakers,but i doubt how they will reduce the engine noise, as they need to be put on firewll and that's not an easy task for a person who knows just how to fit music system.

-sat
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    Dunno if you guys read a entry on BHp where a guy had used the Yoga mats , available everywhere , as a damping material . There 2-3 meter sheets cost you 300 bucks and are sure a cheap solution and are also very very light . How much of a sound insulation it provides is for one to find out and how to fix it is for you to figure out . But if you think about it , it might work out well .
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    its not just if you put some woofer or something. i have damping in just my front doors. the road noise in my car is cut off marginally. damping has multiple uses. one uses damping for even small speakers because they want to kill the ambient noise so that music quality is good.

any sort of damping will make your car silent.

yogamats or any rubber mats can restrict vibration but they dont have acoustic damping quality. but nice to have them
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Thank you everyone :)
  7. Its all in the mind
    putting a small piece of sponge cannot dampen sound to 50%
    If that was so why didnt fiat guys do it.
    There is absolutely no need to go for such things in a MJD which is very refined.
    Rather go for regular clean up/ replacement of air filter and lubs which would really smoothen the engine..
    Going for a good sound system is a good idea though..
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    OT: For the benefit of all NOIDAns: Pollution checking for diesel engines can be done at the IOC petrol pump (Dolly Motors) located on the road between Sector 21 Stadium, and Sector 12.

Back on topic: I had gone for my PUC check today. I left the engine running, and the guy started his checks. He then said in Hindi that the readings were way off. Then I told him that mine was a diesel engine, and he then inserted the correct probe into the exhaust. Later he told me that "...from the engine sound, he assumed that it was a petrol engine."

So now, who is complaining about NHV on diesel Punto?

Regards
    Johnny

9. Johnny,

It is the airborne noise intruding into cabin from engine as well as from wheel arch, to experience this just drive the car above 3000 RPM, you will hear a boomy sound which is nothing but noise resonance.

@Italia-Linea

Punto by default has these dampening sheets inside the doors.

-Sat
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

Sat, i saw the damping stuff they have punt inside the door when my CL was getting fixed, and the material is not at all enough - I am not sure I can even call it proper damping. A proper damping using Dynamat, Noisekill etc is much recommended.