1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible to change PCD?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, May 30, 2013.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    We just manufactured and installed the hub rings on fellow TFI members.

One was linea belonging to Mahesh with 17" wheels, the car had lots of issues like wobbling and stability. FASS changed many parts but still the issue remained. Finally after 2 years the issue got resolved by the hub rings.

Second was Prasads punto, it was suffering from continuous bolt damages. He was running his car on 3 bolts as well due to this issue. We retapped the threads installed hub rings of correct specs and the issue is resolved. No wobbling even at extreme speeds. Bolts are also fitted perfectly.

One thing i noticed during manufacturing and installation. The Alloy wheels do not have perfectly same ID standards. Even same alloys have variations in 50-100 microns. Also rust created dimensional inconsistancies.
    So measuring and manufacturing custom hub rings is the best solution and fitting them properly is also very important.
    5 people like this.
  2. ^^Great to know atlast you have come out with a perfect solution for our fiats..congrats buddy.
    But I fail to understand why do we need hubrings even if we get 98pcd alloys(aftermarket)??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Only with OEM alloys HUB remains same. Where as after market alloys HUB dia differs.
  4. So which ever brand 98 pcd we get, hub ring is must? ?
    Any update on your alloy hunting??

5. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Its already finalised. As I said going for Lenso project D 100pcd with HUB rings.:D
    Yet to decide the tyres.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Congrats buddy...but please do help me with the hub rings(hunting) if I go for different alloys in the future..

7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is absolutely correct. Hub rings are not required if and only if the inner diameter of the alloy corresponds to the car's hub diameter (58.1 mm in case of our cars), and finding this match after market is impossible. Quoting myself from another thread:

Rajan
    AsylumKing and Italia-Linea like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hub rings are not for 98 0r 100 pcd its for any aftermarket alloys because these alloys are not and will never be manufactured to fit just one brand of cars.
    So there will be difference between the 2 hubs and a ring will bridge that gap and put the load 0n the hub than the lug. That's why one should have rings

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    That is correct. I checked many 98 PCD wheels too. They dont match our hubs. Also due to rust and heat the dimensions get off. So we first purchased a aluminium casting with desired alloys in it so that the material properties are perfect. Then we prepared the program on CAD-CAM and did few iterations for exact dimensions and machined the rings on CNC machine.

They fitted perfectly in alloys and wont come off during puncture repairs. Also there is a relief and chamfer to mate the surface perfectly.
    1 person likes this.