1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible to change PCD?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, May 30, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good thread!

100PCD will open the floodgates for aftermarket wheels.

It would be a good idea if the "custom" hubs are made with studs fitted to them rather than threaded holes like the OEM ones. Easier to mount the wheels and slightly more foolproof.

After the Palio chewed up two lug-nuts, got the hubs fitted with studs and been a happy camper ever since.

Another thing which can go with these custom hubs or the OEM one is wheel spacers. 10-15mm or so and the stock wheels+tyres will look much more flush with the body and give a more aggressive look, especially the rear wheels. This will need to be coupled with longer studs/bolts to accomodate the spacer. Italia can machine these things out of billet on his CNC even in his sleep ;).

Cheers.
    5 people like this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    LOL, nice thought. Let me open up one linea/punto hub and check the bearing sizes inside and the spacer tubes inside if any.

I will never forget you :)

Actually i think the threaded type provide better locking, but only till they work properly :) , chances are that they get screwed up easily if too much torque is applied. Pressing studs with threads and locking wheels with bolts are done on almost all vehicles, FIAT does it reverse way (Italian style). But i think the reverse way is to give clean looks on alloys. Imagine a nut on alloy. It wont look good and mainly will the big nut go in the holes?

Spacers: that can be machined as addons. Good idea. This will surely give good look.

Hubs are manufactured in close tolerances. Especially because they host 2 bearings and the spacing should be perfect so that there is accurate play for the wheel hub to rotate. Also the runout is to be maintained within 10 microns. With CNC this is easily achievable. - but not in sleep, only by spending sleepless nights :evilsmile
    3 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes the studs should work, provided we can find a suitable set. The stud-nuts I have on the Palio are Innova type - they are chromed and have a "hat" on top and the stud underneath is not visible. They even have a rubber gasket which probably seals the alloy hole (??). You might remember old style studs where a hollow nut is used to tighten wheels. That definitely looks odd.

As such, the OEM bolts are not bad. But you must be careful with the torque and initial tightening. Whenever I have personally removed a wheel, I always clean the bolt threads firstly when reinstalling, tighten by hand as much as I can and then use the wrench.

Having advocated studs myself, I must say BMW surely feels confident in bolt type fitment by using them in the 560hp M5. :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I will be eagerly waiting for your post after you do that. BTW, any idea if the T-Jet's hub would be the same?

Thanks and please keep your promise and remember me :D

Rajan
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Here is the part# details, if that would help in anyway

Wheel Hub.JPG

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    It's doable but would require change of discs and rear drums too which have 100 PCD hole instead of current 98 PCD and utmost care have to be taken while choosing raw material. Tensile strength should be better or same as OEM part.

@ Italia-Linea can you make rear drums too ?. I am sure there would be many people interested in doing this permanent PCD conversion including me.

@PatchBoy brilliant idea and thanks for info on PM. I am seeing bling bling alloys in front of my eyes after reading this thread.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In my case, I will have to replace hubs all around as I have all 4 discs. In the mean time, I am also communicating with a guy in Italy, to see if I can source the OE Euro spec hub, provided it is 100 PCD.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I just learnt this whole PCD business while upgrading my tires and I wanted to get some cool alloys but figured that I have a limited choice due to the weird 98 PCD. I hope he Abarth launch brings along some alloy options for the Punto.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Italia_Linea - Please check this out.

Update - Finally got a response from my Italian contact. Sadly, that hub is also 98 PCD. Posting the pictures received, as it has more measurements, which Italia_Linea might find useful.

IMGP0122.jpg

IMGP0123.jpg

IMGP0124.jpg

IMGP0125.jpg

@Italia_Linea, I am quite serious about this. Could you let me know the feasibility of making this part for my T-Jet and the costs involved? Alternately, if we are able to find the manufacturer of these hubs who supplies to FIAT, we might be able to coax him into giving us partially machined hubs, without the Lug holes, so we can drill holes to PCD of our choice and do the heat treatment, as necessary. Just thinking aloud here :D

Rajan

PS: I am not an engineer and maybe just talking nonsense here. Please apologize my ignorance

Also, what if we drill 4 additional holes in the existing hub as indicated and make it 98 / 100 PCD? How much would that compromise the strength of the hub? It would give us the added advantage of being able to revert to 98 PCD rims (spare would be still that, unless one gets 5 alloys), without switching hub. I am hoping this would also reduce the cost of the mod considerably. Experts, please help.

100 PCD.jpg

Rajan
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Interesting.. awaiting experts opinion on patchy's post..