1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible to change PCD?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, May 30, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Drilling holes in regular solid discs won't make those. What we have on our cars usually are what appears to be two solid discs, with fins in between. It is in fact one single disc - both contact surfaces and the wedged fins built into a single cast. That explains the thickness. The type of discs in the picture you have posted are found in high end cars, typically the racing variety.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. :-D :-D

thank you :D
  3. DeLineated

DeLineated Timido

MH12
    Those aren't ventilated discs , bud. Ventilated discs have vents - for allowing air to allow cooling even to the section in contact with the brake pad (but only the opposite side like the tails side of a coin).
    Ventilated discs are like two discs with radial grooves in between, which channel the air on the inside surfaces of the two discs. The above is a picture of a drilled disc, more commonly used on motorcycles and some high end cars.

Edit : I see PatchyBoy has also explained just that.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  4. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I think changing of PCD should be possible if one has the right skill and equipment to do it.
    However PCD is not an individual components and is dependent on multiple compnents and vice versa. Failing to comply or mainting these interdpendent values can result in issues related to suspension, steering components, wheel assembly and sometimes vehicle body.

I dont know much about all these but from the info that i read on google its not ideal to change PCD.

Why a manufacturer sticks to a particular PCD might be because they look for what best suits to make the drivability better with the best possible equiment with a cost factor to it (am not sure though - its just my undestanding) !!

Some topics that i found on the net
    What does wheel PCD mean? - Wheel Fitment.eu - PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data
    WHEELS. PCD, offset, and centre spigot diameter
    PCD, Offset and Bore Alloy Wheel Fitment Guide
    Wheel sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alloy wheel pcd altering..... - PistonHeads

So PCD alteration is possible but how ideal is it is debatable :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @royj - where are you buddy? I really need your thoughts on this.

@gurjinder / @vIjAy_kHaSa - Say something, possible, dangerous, I am an idiot to even think in these lines, whatever.

The silence is killing me. :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Hey guys.. Sorry didn't come across this thread until I got a PM from Rajan.

Now coming to the topic, that is an interesting debate going on. Theoretically, replacing the part specified with one of a different PCD should work fine.
    But the question is how to achieve that? There are two options
    1. The DIY approach would be to drill holes - personally I wouldn't recommend this.
    2. The sound approach would be to find one from the manufacturer.

I have been working on an Army discard MM550. This comes with a 139.7mm PCD. Just like Fiats, this too is an odd size and limited choice alloys are available. Better options are available for 160mm PCD.
    While searching around for options, I learned that Mahindra's Bolero, Scorpio etc., comes with 160mm PCD and many of their parts come from the same bin and can be interchanged. So I was advised to replace the MM550 hub with a Bolero hub which would be direct fit and you get 160mm PCD and everything will be fine. Now I haven't actually done this so I can't be 100% certain, but will be looking at this option some time in the future.

Coming to Fiat, how is this info going to help? I read somewhere that Punto (and Linea) sold in Europe comes with 100mm PCD. So if you can obtain the part from there, it should be a direct fit and probably a better fit than putting a Bolero hub on an MM550.

Yet another option is there which I have mentioned in my thread in search of perfection with after market alloys which is to use PCD adapters.

So that is how things stand.. The debate will continue. :)
    4 people like this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Ahhh. I now feel vindicated that you agree, in principle, with what I am saying. So, I am reasonably sane in my line of thought :D. Now, the info that Punto & Linea come with 100 PCD in Europe is news to me. Thanks a ton for that info. I was wondering why the OZ Racing website was showing 100 PCD alloys when I choose FIAT as my car. That replacement hub will be on the top of my shopping list when I go to Europe.

Thanks again Roy.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Changing the PCD is very easy. You just need a new wheel hub. The new wheel hub should be machined to have the PCD you desire. We manufacture wheel hubs for many OEMS and so i say it can be easily done.

Secondly coming to the performance brake discs. Give me some time. I am going to launch performance brake discs for our fiat cars. Right now testing is going on in a friends Palio.
    5 people like this.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    ^^ Say how would you like to have a bulk order of 100PCD hubs for all interested TFI members :p
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Put my name on the top of the list. I started this thread :D

Rajan