1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible to change PCD?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, May 30, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    As members of the exclusive 98 mm PCD club, we all know how limited our choice of alloys are. I did search the net to figure out if it would be possible to change the PCD to something more common, like 100 or 114. There are 2 distinct groups, as usual. The Ayes and the Nays.

Looking at this picture, I am thinking it should be possible:

FIAT Hub.jpg

Source

But if it is as simple as it appears to be, then there would already be a roaring after market PCD alteration business. It is obvious I am missing something. So, throwing the debate (hopefully a healthy one) open - Can it be done? If it cannot be done, then why not?

Rajan
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. mayank

mayank Amatore

We need Mr. Roy johnson here on this thread to throw some light on this :???:
  3. rajan bhai...as far as i know..the PCDs can only be altered on the alloy's body and not on the vehicle...since the driveshaft mustve been designed to rotate a 98pcd axel rod...
    again...half knowledge is dangerous so id still maintain im illiterate on this...but as you rightly said there would be a roaring business of PCD modification...

but a catching point is...how many cars apart from FIAT have an odd value?

most of the cars are 100 PCDs...so even if it is possible the business wouldn't establish since customers would be only Fiatians....
    2 people like this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    You have a point Harsh Bhai. However, that no one has even discussed this before is a bit puzzling to me.

Ok, here is a split view of the front wheel hub

Split Hub.jpg

The centre on the circle in part #2 where holes are drilled and threaded for part #7 is the PCD. Keeping all other measurements same, if part #2 is replaced with the threaded holes placed in 100 mm circle or 114 mm circle, that would give us the desired PCD, wouldn't it? All I am trying to understand are the pros and cons, heck even feasibility of doing this. I know a lot of FIAT owners running 100 PCD on the 98 PCD hub, which is not very safe. If this were possible, wouldn't people be interested in getting this done?

May not be a roaring business, but even as an optional value add?

Rajan
  5. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Nice thread buddy and i completely agree with the logic given by you in the last post.
  6. trying to change the wheel hub might just land us into warranty and insurance issues.... and also availing on these hubs one must check about the portability....these are crucial parts like kidneys...u need an exact match and preferably a hereditary one...we cannot foresee what the long term effect of this change could do....

alignment issues and most importantly the suspension >:O
    which is like the waterloo since our roads are so pweety ^_^
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Harsh bhai,

No offense. I was only trying to get an insight into technical feasibility. I am aware of wheel adapters that do just this, but they also act as spacers, meaning they alter the wheel offset as well. Also, I suspect they will make the hub-centric OE wheels, lug-centric which is not a very good thing.

It might even be possible to drill holes in the existing hub to the desired PCD, but that would require extreme accuracy. Should be possible with the right tools and skills. EOD, even if it is feasible, it may not be worth the cost and effort. All I am trying to see is, what do fellow members think of this? Some one with a mechanical / automotive background might be able to tell us. Also, I am trying to understand why FIAT sticks to 98 PCD? Is there a technical reason?

The basic reason to start this thread is this. I am interested in these alloys. Have written to them asking details of PCD options and offset options. Thought I might explore this feasibility, as I seriously doubt availability in 98 PCD. The picture gallery does show it mounted on a FIAT 500, so it might just be a direct fit :D

Rajan
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. What offense bhai??
    its not an argument but a debate :)
    as i said im illiterate in this and cannot refute technically i was taking a logical and economical approach :D :D

i was also interested in OZ racing's Adrelina design but the price tag bounced me off!!

please dnt take my constant opposing in the thread as irritated replies or something...i'm way younger and way naive than you :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

since you mentioned drilling holes....i've always wondered...can we not drill holes on the disc and make it ventilated?? :confused: :evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Why would you want to do that? The front discs are already ventilated. The rear, where provided with discs, do not need ventilated discs, as they contribute to 25% or less of the braking power. You cannot fix a ventilated disc in the rear anyway. They would be too thick.

Since most of our cars have drum in the rear, I am assuming you are talking about the front discs, right?

Rajan
  10. OT

i meant these

slotrear_001.jpg