1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Possible call back for linea and 90 hp punto ??

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sanjeev, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Is this officially communicated by Fiat India?.
    i have 64.5K on my linea's odo and its going fine,and i have seen one's with 80K+.
    is this info authentic,or just a 3rd party hoax?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think few Linea owner's have reported issue with timing chain, I never heard any Punto 90HP reported.
    It doesn't look like recall, may be Fiat is working on improvement of this part.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Fiat have a list of cars which needs the Timing Chain to be replaced.
    Only a batch of cars came with faulty Timing Chains and Fiat is actively changing them under warranty whenever the vehicle goes into ASS.
    While reading this article one gets a feeling that all Fiats having MJD have defective timing chains. This article is bogus as I have myself seen a 75HP Grande Punto with timing chain noise.
    To me it seems like Maruti is trying to give Fiat a bad name by hyping Timing Chain replacement on few cars.
    Its true Maruti manufactures engine by itself at its Plant but it doesn't manufacture Timing Chains by itself. When would Indian media start behaving responsibly.
    Anybody remember the recall of Swift DDiS for a conrod bolt, that time media reported that Fiat would also have to recall the MJD's for the defective bolts.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    6 people like this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Not to forget broken cases of camshaft on suzuki manufactured ddis engines :)
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Italia Linea

I think you hit the nail. I was also in doubt of this. But I kept mum coz again someone would have remarked it speculation.

I & someone else also have mentioned issue of humming noise
    This noise is clearly noticable at low RPM in silent zone outside of urban area.

Thanx for this.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    I was looking for Thread like this for long. I also heard bout this timing Chain issue. Its not a complete hoax. One of a distant cousin did a complete engine rebuild. First i thought it was one of a kind. But later i heard the same issue in 3-4 cars in another place. The person who told this is a driver of my other cousin. I dont think tat guy wil lie because he was all praises bout UNO and SIENA which he used to drive before. Recently i befriended a service guy, when i enquired him bout the issue, he accepted that there is an issue of timing-Chain. One more thing..the cars which i mentioned was used for heavily and almost all clocked more than 60000 in 15 months time.. I am now wondering if this issue was not reported because only a handful clocked this high mileage this early and the work was done under warranty(all the cars was rebuild under warranty). And to top it all all the cars were in the range 65000-85000.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes its true that fiat has changed timing chains on many cars. But these i---t reporters have no idea what they are writing. its nothing to do with 2012 cars being tested for timing chains etc. Some old cars had this issue.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  8. Can somebody tell what are the symptoms or signs of Bad Timing Chain in Punto...?
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Don't think too much srida. Fiat would have intimated the car owners with faulty timing chains. I am sure that they would have completed the exercise by this time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.