1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Poor AC performance Punto 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gReyHound, Nov 11, 2010.

1. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    Final update guys ::D
    The defect was in the AC circulation mode. I forced the service adviser to get it checked again in spite of him saying it was checked last week.
    In fact i had to take him for a test drive to convince that the re-circulation was not working and drawing in fresh air.
    After the fix the AC is normal now :clapping
    Thank you for all the suggestions and responses to my query. ::T
  2. Good to see your issue has been resolved.
  3. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    just wanted to update the current status :)

The AC is working in full swing no issues. I regularly clean the pollen filter that is all :)
  4. Punter

Punter

Mumbai
    Hey gReyHound you are god. ::D

I have the same issue of poor AC performance in my MJD E+.
    I have been following the AC upgrade thread for sometime and was disheartened to know that the upgrade was limited to petrol variants.

Then I thought of starting a new thread here. Decided to search if anyone else is facing the same issue. Came across your thread. As I went through each post, I was thinking 'had I started a new thread this is how the discussion would have unfolded'.. believe me I am facing the same issue.

So here goes my story.

1. I had observed that outside smell comes inside the car a month after I bought the car. Didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't realize the AC performance issue then as I used to go to office at 8AM and leave after sunset. So was pretty comfortable with the cooling part of it. Also I as a driver never had this problem. Its only when I started traveling extensively with my family (backseat), they started complaining about the AC non-performance. I actually had a good fight with my wife as I couldn't tolerate she complaining about my dear GP.

2. Remembering the promises I made while marrying my better half, I decided to take this matter with TASS though. The reply then was "everything is OK. Roll down the windows for 5 min, fan speed etc etc. The grill temperature is good." I was very happy to know that.

3. Family outings reduced after that for various reasons. One fine day we had to attend my wife's best friend's wedding. She started complaining about AC performance once again. So I asked her to drive the car and I jumped into the back seat. Next half an hour I was sweating like a pig.

4. I had an appointment with TASS next week for servicing. I asked them to look into the AC issue as well. When I collected the car, they had replaced pollen filter etc. And the answer again was the grill temperature is good. The AC felt good after that. I was cursing myself for living in a polluted city like Mumbai and decided to get the filter clean frequently.

5. With the AC problem sorted now, we made a trip to Ahmedabad a week after that. The AC performance, as you had mentioned in your posts, was good under cloudy conditions with 30-35 C temperature. When we reached A'bad, Mercury was soaring and outside temp was 40+. We were sweating again. I consoled myself... may be its not made to handle 40+ C. We traveled most part of the trip with windows rolled down, braving current of hot air in our face.

6. Again I could live with the AC during my office commute. So didn't really bother about getting it checked etc. Though it was playing at the back of my mind. I experienced "outside smell entering the car" syndrome intermittently.

7. Last week we went to Shirdi. Early morning drive was OK but the return journey was horrible. Thats when I started believing that something was really wrong with the AC and TASS guys were not able to sort the issue out. So before visiting them and blasting them I decided to get the opinions of fellow punters here. Thats what brought me here. I had started considering selling off the car and going for a T-Jet. LOL. I am simply looking for reasons to upgrade. Sigh! I have one reason less now "hopefully".

Now that I know the issue is with circulation mode, I will make sure they inspect/analyze/fix this in great detail rather than just measuring grill temperature etc.

Once again thanks a lot for this thread and everyone who contributed. I'll post my progress on the issue soon.

BTW any idea how often does one need to top-up the AC gas? Mine is a JUL09 car. Also is cleaning the pollen filter a DIY job? If yes how to do it?
  5. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    Good to know that this post has helped you.
    From what i know the AC gas lasts for quite a while not sure how long though, you can get the pressure checked and topped up if neccessary @ TASS
    Yeah cleaning the pollen filter is very easy, just follow the steps here in the below post.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=213
  6. Punter

Punter

Mumbai
    Bingo... the issue was with the circulation mode. a quick fix to that and gas top-up fixed the issue. AC is back to normal.
  7. R Alavandar

R Alavandar

Chennai
    In my Linea the AC performance improved after changing the pollen filter. Cost: Rs 45/-. It is better to renew the paper filters. Just cleaning them may not help.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i am not facing issue with AC cooling, but these days i am able to smell the smoke from outside. i think somehow the outside air comes in the cabin. i am suspecting that the recirculation mode is not getting activated completely and some flap must be half stuck that sucks in the outside air.

Punter and other guys who got the circulation rectified... how was this done? i read it was a quick fix.
  9. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    i also feel that my ac vent has this problem as i cam sometimes smell outside, smell even in recirculation mode,but the AC is performing well since pollen filter change.
    How to fix the recirculation, is it a DIY?
  10. rajeev21698

rajeev21698 Novizio

Firozabad
    even after changing the pollen filter few days back i am facing issue with AC cooling, it trips too early cursing my self for purchasing fiat, shown this problem at TASS but have no solution for it can some body help