1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Poor AC performance Punto 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gReyHound, Nov 11, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    How's the airflow from the airvents. (Check for any leaks in vents air piping)
    What was the temperature at the grill after switching ON the AC after 5 mins. It should be below 4C. ( When I got it checked it was 2.3 C - 2.5 C)
    My Linea MJD chills the cabin completely within 10 mins even when temperature is above 40 C.
    Why dont you try the AC of demo car. It would clarify if your AC system has problem or not.
  2. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    The problem is peculiar and i face issues only when the temperature is 30+. It takes more than 20 minutes for the temperature at the vent to actually feel the chillness around 4 C. When the outside temperature is around 25-28 and overcast conditions the AC is perfect and i have to reduce the chillness.

I got a reply back from fiat asking for the Registration number - purchase date and Dealer details. Just emailed them the details.

Planning to get the car to TASS on a very hot sunny day to illustrate the problem. Busy this week will make it there next week and post the outcome.
  3. Does your car have sun film installed ? Try keeping your windows down open just a bit so that fresh air can circulate and see if you face this problem.I faced similar problem earlier but mine was rectified after ECU update done on cars with 1.4 FIRE engine.I don't think this update is available for MJD's.
  4. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Use Garware Ice-cool elite suncontrol film. It has highest Heat Rejection 72%
    I was also facing this problem.
    a/c is not problem. Design of AC is such that,it does not hamper performance of car,So there is some lag in cooling
    I installed above suncontrol film. Now my problem solved.
  5. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    @ atul
    I got the sun film installed as a freebie at TASS it is Garware 50 % VTL on the side windows and 70% VLT on the rear. And i am sure that they are not the premium types from Garware as it came in as a freebie

@amolmane
    Is it does the sun film play such an important role. How much did it cost you for the sun film and the installation and what is the VLT.
    I can get the sun films installed if it solves the issue.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For Bangalore type weather, sunfilm is not a mandatory thing for most of the months in year.

When are is standing in full sun for long time, roll down the window for couple of minutes before entering inside.
    The put the fan in max fan speed, blow air toward foot, in fresh air mode, for few minutes. Then switch on the AC in same condition for 2 mins, keep window open. The cabin should have fresh colder air by now. Now close the windows, put the fan in re-circulation mode (facing on your face now). You should be chiiling in few minutes.
  7. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    Thank you for the inputs Ravi will try this out and let you know if any improvements.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    Got a quote of RS 4000 from car nation for the sun films - 3M CS 35 -3 years warranty
    Solar Energy Rejected: 39%
    VLT: 38%
    UV reduction: 99%

Is the quote high ?
  10. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    Some Progress

On Saturday got the Pollen filter cleaned again before making my trip to Shimoga i.e 300 Kms from Bangalore

Wow the AC felt better and the temperature was around 30 Degrees and i was like finally.

After Driving for about 30 Minutes in the sunlight through traffic the AC started to fade off slowly ::OO . But still it was not as bad as earlier. On the way my car had several encounters with dust storms ::D.
    At times i could feel the dust inside(not much but just felt like) and this was with the AC in Re-Circulation mode on. And today also i could smell the bad smell coming off from a wide open gutter.
    Looks like there is some problem with the Re-Circulation mode, planning to get this tested again this weekend.
    Hopefully this is the main reason for the poor AC performance.

@Ravi- Ur points are simply awesome saw a better degree of cooling achieved in much less time by following your points.