1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

POLO 0r PUNTO

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Manilruben, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MULTIJET

MULTIJET Timido

Navi Mumbai
    If you notice in Polo at rear seat there is a huge hump which makes the middle person of average height hard to adjust.So may be its basically a 4 seater.
    I have driven a GP90hp and its not so quick for the first and second gear but once you are in third gear and above within no time it crosses 120kmph. Its really great fun to drive.
    Looks wise i will definately go with Punto, I feel Polo and Palio stile looks similar if you see it from distance.
    Rubber quality on Punto is poor as compared to Polo.
    One big point is that Punto comes with Road side assistance.No idea about Polo
    If sales are the main judge then I think Marutis are better than all the other manufacturers.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Whether it's interiors, exteriors, safety features or functional features in the Polo brochure, I don't seen any exciting exclusive feature at all.
    And it is full of silly features. By the time I read some important feature, I'm already bored.
    Two examples.
    1. Functional features:
    Vehicle tools(car jack & reserve bulb included)- present in all three variants.

2. Safety features- "FRONT DISC BRAKES- Present in all three variants". "warning triangle and first aid kit- present in all three"

Is there any car that comes without a toolkit?
    Many companies give silly things in their brochure but mentioning toolkit, front disc brakes is just inflating the list to hide the short list of actual features offered. Front discs these days are standard on most bikes as well these days.
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto Brochure on the other hand contains only the important features of the car.
    But they have kept the list too short. Punto offers more features that definitely deserve a mention in the brochure just like i20's. Some of these are:

Rear AC vents,
    manual door locks for individual doors,
    programmable speed warning,
    speed sensitive front intermittent wipers,
    Theater dimming Map lamps with spot function,
    All 4 power windows Auto down,
    Driver side Auto up power window,
    Instrument Panel display options.
  4. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    Hai guys,

Can you tell me the following details in the Punto.

1) Length of the Seating area front & back seats

2) The leg space in the back seat when the front seats are fully pushed back.

How is this when compared to VW Polo.
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Naren- Front seats in both Punto and Polo have a long travel and it is of no use checking out the rear space with front seats fully back.
    I'm 182cm tall. I've adjusted the front seats as per my convenience and there is 1.5 finger space between my knees and the back of the front seat when I sit at rear seat.

I don't have any idea about Polo. Reviews have declared Punto as well as Polo to be cramped at the back. :hit
    If these are cramped, what and how many cars have a decent rear seat?

Polo does seem to have an average headroom at the back.
  6. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fully agreed with you. But, what I meant was an overall package as well(headroom+legroom+bootspace).
    It is a fact that if you want to own a bungalow on wheels, opt for Indica Vista. But the space comes at an expense of boot space which is lower.

Hatchbacks like Punto, i20 are better in terms of boot space. The advantage is that those who need boot space can manage with Punto and i20 as these lie mid way between Hatch and sedan standards.

Otherwise Punto(3987mm long) and i20(3940mm long) can nuke the shorter Vista any given day.

Jazz offers great cabin space but at the expense of mini van like design. Does not look cool to me.

There isn't much difference in space offered by i20 and Punto. The subjective feeling of more space comes from the design of the seats. The car has somewhat higher seats as per what I felt. Also, i20 is wider than Punto by 25mm.

Finally, as I mentioned before. My height is more than the average height in India. If my knees don't touch the front seats then how much most people say that the car is cramped at the back?
  7. MULTIJET

MULTIJET Timido

Navi Mumbai
    This discussion will never end. Those who like Polo let them do gaga with it and same with Punto lovers.
    We can start a new topic "WHO IS HOT- KAREENA OR KATRINA" Lol
  8. as an engineer i can say that engineering is always a compromise .. you cannot get everything right in one product ..some cars compromise space for looks some the other way round. you have to decide your priorities and buy accordingly .. my priorities were good handling/ride and build quality which linea satisfied.To each their own...if everyone thought alike there was no need for so many products in the first place.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Well said. As far as engineering goes, Polo and Punto are more or less evenly poised, with personal preference of each individual biasing his decisions. After engineering comes marketing, which includes Branding, Positioning and Promotion. In that I guess Polo is head and shoulders above Punto for reasons Fiat alone knows ::O
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Punto have more safety features than Polo.
    Polo only have ABS and no EBD
    While Punto have ABS+EBD
    And in cold starting the Polo sucks. You can feel vibrations in car that goes away when car is warmed up or driven. Its NVH are good for a 3 pot but that can't be compared to a 4 pot. Only way I can feel vibration in Linea/Punto is by touching the gear lever when engine is started.
    Polo does have a slick gearbox and better interior build quality but in exterior build quality punto is still the leader.
    And Polo 1.6 is not a hot hatch. It have very bad low end torque. You have to keep shifting gears for maintaing the momentum.
    FIAT should relaunch the Palio 1.6 GTX. It was a rocket.
    Polo central locking is a joke. You have to manually lock the doors. If you open one door all will open and won't lock automatically. But polo have one great feature that windows rolls ups automatically if you keep the lock button on remote pressed for some time.
    Also Polo doens't have niggling issues like Punto/Linea have.
    Both the cars are good. It all depends upon what a individual is looking for in a car. But I will surely choose Punto between Polo and Punto just becaue I am happy with FIAT and Polo looks too bland from behind and misses some small but very usefull features.(Vanity mirror, Elec ORVM, Steering remote, ACC etc) and Polo also have a waiting period.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.