1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

POLO 0r PUNTO

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Manilruben, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I think comparisons are a very subjective issue and only objectivity can be through numbers. Going by numbers alone, Punto does have an edge. Although most manufacturers are going towards reduction of number of cylinders as well as extracting more juice out of lesser volume, the current 3pot in Polo can't be termed as futuristic by any stretch of imagination.

People by and large are quite knowledgeable about engine volumes and hp and after asking these two, next thing asked about is mileage.

Fiat has burned its fingers on the mileage question and has to work from scratch at its image of fuel efficient car maker.

As far choosing between Punto and Polo is concerned, I think sales figure should be a pointer. September/October (festival season) sales figures will actually provide a pointer to what the public thinks.
  2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    What's going on here , WW-III ? :mrgreen:

1824 cars sold in August ( just read a post on t-bhp). I don't really understand the low sales figures of the Punto vis-a-vis the Polo. Although service experience of the Polo remains to be seen, the VW group is not exactly renowned in India for their service.

Is it because Fiat makes cars that are not oriented towards city driving, that affects sales ? Short gearing, hard steering, low lying seats.

And mclaren, isn't B&M a safety feature rather than being a plain gizmo ?
  3. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Nice post mclaren. Yes, Fiat has to rework its strategy. Fiat definitely has gained space back into buying list, but, when the prospective buyer compares the prices of cars on the list, and starts checking which features he can do away with, Fiat vehicles start receding in value for him.

I feel Fiat has made a big mistake by not promoting 1.2 effectively. 1.2 emotion at 4.98 and polo 1.2 highline at 5.85 have serious contention (prices at carwale OTR ex Mumbai). I am sure a prospective buyer, when making his buying list, just doesn't consider 1.2 active/emotion where as Polo being a new launch and available only in 1.2 as of yesterday, is easy to consider (trendline 4.4 OTR mumbai/ Punto active 4.36). The same buyer when he checks about Fiat, all he knows is about 1.3 and 1.4. :car

If we look at current petrol hatch lineup, most of them are in 1.-1.2 l category. By bringing in 1.4 Fiat had raised hopes of greater power and FE, however, power was sacrificed at the altar of FE. Either they give a push to 1.2 or bring in variants like Maruti (enough to confuse everyone).

I don't know what stops them from publishing ads showing car comparisons.
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I appreciate your inputs mclaren - there's nothing wrong in putting forward objective analysis.

I'll be interested to see how good Polo does in the months to come. One reason of it's high sales right now is that it's a new model. Isn't the diesel also slightly pricier higher it's competitors ?
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Sad but very very true. :sad1
  6. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    Is it true that VW Polo does not have FREE SERVICE.

Also what would be the service intrevels for Polo. What would be the cost of the service, any Idea.
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am a bit worried about Polo or for that matter VW owners. A VW Jetta had a 1st service bill of 15k and a Polo came out with a 1st service bill of 6k. Jettas case is confirmed but not sure about the case for Polo.
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Like I said earlier, the VW group has not had a great service record in India. Even some pre-sales experiences ,as per posts on t-bhp, have not been upto the mark.

It remains to be seen how the Polo fares in this regard. The Indian customer is pretty unforgiving when it comes to laxity or high expenses when it comes to service. VW has a good opportunity to capitalize at hand with a good car, something Fiat had and lost on years ago ...
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    These figures I got from a Polo owner's thread:
    Quote:
    AMC for 3 years ----- Rs.19,900/- plus Tax
    AMC for 4 Years ----- Rs.34,072/- Plus Tax

VW does not give any free service. Everything is paid. 4th year is expensive since a few extra things are changed at 60,000 kms.

Polo also use synthetic oil. Service interval is 15,000kms or 1 year. Unquote.

AMC includes charges for POL and labor. That effectively means first three years Rs 6K+ and fourth service seems to be a whopper. Interesting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.