1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pollution test for diesel vehicles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Balu Chandra S, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Balu Chandra S

Balu Chandra S Novizio

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Recently done the pollution for my Punto as my PUC certificate expired. I was in between a trip and then I realised that my certificate was expired. Then I stopped at the next pollution test centre. To my surprise they said they don't have the equipment to test diesel cars. I was wondering, both petrol and diesel cars are having same procedure, right. So went to next centre. There I realised the fact, testing procedure for diesel cars have changed. Current procedure is, they will place some sensor in the engine bay and get the readings for different engine RPM s (think its 5 readings). It will also check the engine temperature. The whole process took apprx 30 mins, where as earlier this will be completed in 5-10 mins. Mine took more time as I have already driven around 200 kms and the engine was hot. So they took the readings many times. I have asked the shop owner about the details, but he is also not much aware of. Those who already aware of this, please explain. Others please be aware of the time took for the test and try to avoid testing in between long journeys.

Sent from my Micromax E471 using Tapatalk
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Have attached a document which explains the procedure for the PUC testing for diesel cars issued by ARAI. This is a detailed procedure hence I am sure will not be followed rigorously at all testing centres, there will be shortcuts taken.

What I have seen is that a sensing probe is placed in the exhaust, power to the testing unit is connected from the car battery. There is a handheld device which is used to monitor the RPM. Generally 3 sets of readings are taken and the final print is provided to the customer. This is at the place where I get my Punto's PUC done. I ensure that the car is not hot before the test and the compare the previous and present readings to ensure it is not manipulated.

Attached Files:

Turbothinghy and limraj like this.
  3. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I recently got my PUC done in Mumbai within sharp 5 minutes for Linea MJD as it used to happen earlier. :) Never heard this from my PUC wallah. Either he is unaware or taking a shortcut. 30 minutes is precious business time. :)
  4. Balu Chandra S

Balu Chandra S Novizio

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't know if this new rule is only in Kerala. Earlier it was just like placing a rod in silencer and took the reading while engine is idle. Finished. Now in addition to that a sensor was attached in the engine(magnetic type) and then reading was taken in some meter for different rpm levels by pressing the accelerator. When asked them, they said this rule was implemented recently for diesel cars.

Sent from my Micromax E471 using Tapatalk
  5. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @Balu Chandra S

yes new norms implemented after the supreme court order and also due to ban in NCR for diesel vehicles.