1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Poll : Do you think that college education shouldn't be funded by parent ?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by sungoa2010, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Do you think that child education shouldn't be funded by parents

1. I agree

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. I disagree

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Do you think that the current trend in India where parent has to completely fund the child's college education. Is it that the college education should be the responsibility of a child and they have to work and earn for their studies. Do you welcome this kind of culture in India?
    Share your views here and let us discuss about it.
    2 people like this.
  2. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Bangalore
    Nice poll to have a discussion on.

I completed my graduation with educational loan. After completing the graduation I re-payed it. Yes parents surety was needed but it makes a person to be more responsible. Not saying that who have not taken educational loan or dont pay the college fees on their own are not responsible, but somehow I feel, it should be made mandatory to give educational loans to all students whether they can afford or not.

Yes follow-up on payment for banks increases but either way people who cannot afford to pay fees will take loan and who can afford paying fees also can pay it back once education is completed.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sunil, there are multiple facets to this issue. On the one hand, the parent by virtue of paying for the child's education, somehow feels that the child is always answerable to him/her. The parents also expect returns on investment - the topic of dowry and female genocide is too elaborate to be even touched upon here. As a result, the child feels oppressed, especially during adolescence and tends to rebel. Considering this, granting the child freedom to choose the way they want to live, beyond a certain age would be beneficial.

On the other hand, when freedom is granted to children, who are still not mentally mature enough to make balanced decisions, we will see a lot of school / college dropouts, increase in crime rates, increase in premarital child birth, etc.

Like always, every decision has its ups and downs. Some benefit by choosing to do the right thing, whereas others suffer the consequences of living a misguided adolescent life. So, there is no right or wrong choices here. It will work for some and will not work for some others. Having said that, I am a true believer of a free life style. I am glad my children agree with me :D

Rajan

PS: It must be mandatory for the poll starter to cast the first vote ;)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The basic education is a right of a child. I am interacting with younger students more than any parents. I came across many students who have failed to fulfill their wishes.Parents have given everything they wanted(financially). Some time it is very painful to see the feeling of parents who had spent huge portion of their earnings for their kid. Even if one loose one or two year for graduation the earning and learning gives more aim and purpose in life and they become more creative.

A workshop/service station is not a bad idea for a student of a mechanical engineering. I am sure if he work for a year in a service station and then continue his studies he will be many times more productive.
    Children should have a compulsory participation in NCC/NSS. The mental maturity of children, taking responsibility, A healthy awareness of sex education etc should be included in school curriculum. Eradication of donations and skyrocketing fees should be done by the government. Donations in professional courses should be prohibited. May be fees hike is more appropriate than a huge donations.

Done:)
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Tomorrow someone will come up and ask should children's support there old age parents?
    We have inherited super specialized civilization, which has as reasons for relationships with defined rules, obligations, requirements to ensure a harmonic societal setup. Imitating west in all the scenarios would not be the best solution given that they didnt had any inheritance of specialized civilzations.

If one can support his parents during his college education, its most welcomed only if its not at the cost of hampering his quality of time given to education.
    2 people like this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But what is the use if that inheritance is not translated in to quality of life. Foe quality of life one has to look again west. How many of our towns and villages give seurity for a women. If one see the real picture of the sexual harassment against kid and women we realize that the inheritance doesn't have any value if it is not practiced in life. It is the same country that is top in corrupted countries list.
    The basic definition of education has become now days a paper degree and some how managed to get a job. there may be cases differ from this. But what I am talking is about general trend. Our educational system is too far behind the western countries in terms of quality. We again failed there to translate our inherited civilization there.
  7. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

IMO , Parents Should Pay Money For Their Child study...( FOr college )
    But after Completing , They (Students/child ) should return these Hard Earned Money to Parents.....
    IMo , Gov. Should make Some Law like this !!
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I tend to agree with this. The beauty of Indian society itself is the relationships unlike the western world where even the marriages are attended only by a closed set of family and friends. Rather than debating whether or not parents should fund for their child's education, it is the Government which has to take massive reform in the field of Education. No. I am not talking about FDI in Education too. :D
    1 person likes this.
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    It shouldn't be paid by parents because i know some people just like me are tired of dad's- "Itne paise kharch kar raha hu, aur tu??! " :p

No offence, just a joke! :)
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    From a different perspective, if you make them, then teach them too :p