1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ply and Laminate Dealers

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by amogh, Oct 11, 2011.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys,

I am getting customised furniture made for my residence. I have the furniture drawing and the ply requirement.

However, I want to be dead sure about the quality of ply I am going to purchase (I am not letting the carpenter take the decision. I will be procuring the ply on my own)

Can anyone here help me out to procure good quality ply and laminates ?

Thanks,

Amogh
  2. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    What all do you need and qty's. You can go for either kenwood/kitply/century ply's commercial grade for all rooms except kitchen & bathroom, where you should use marine ply. All ply should be termite/borer resistant. Reg laminates you can use 1.0mm thk for vertical surfaces and 1.5mm for horizontal surfaces make formica/merino/century etc. Timber market is the best place to buy.

Kiran
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    hi amogh, ply comes in various types.
    normal ply, semi gurgeon, gurgeon. gurgeon is the best ones but costly. for home furniture its better to select semi gurgeon which is easy to work with and doesnt crack.

the most funny think about ply market is that all ply comes from same place and stamped with different brands. no 2 shops keep the same brand. so you cannot compare prices of same stuff in 2 different shops.

however big brands like greenply, century ply etc are available everywhere but are overpriced.

go to timber market near swargate and you will get lots of varieties too see with your own eyes.

if normal ply is 18mm 22mm etc the semi gurgeons are generally 19mm 23mm etc.
  4. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Spent the entire weekend checking out plywood dealers and shops (timber market and kothrud). The summary is

- Going to go for full gurgeon ply

- Marine ply for kitchen and bathroom / toilets

Now the question boils down to which brand ? I was and still keen on Greenply. However some suggest Duro (Sarda Plywood) and Goel Ply are equally good brands.Goel Ply's prices are extremely competitive. Duro is the most expensive followed by Greenply.

Amit you are right - All ply's come from the same place : it is only the branding (stamp) that differs.

I am a little inclined towards Goel Ply mainly because they are offering a good price and the dealer (Kale Brothers in Kothrud) is extremely co-operative. However Greenply and Duro are well known with the carpenters. So a little confused now. Do I keep the carpenter happy by going for a brand suggested by him (which is expensive) or keep my pocket happy ?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Amogh
  5. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    For kitchen & bathrooms, have a look at cement board instead of normal ply/board. Cement board does not get affected by water but has lower strength than normal board.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    carpenter has to work with whatever brand and material you give him. he should not bother about that. whats the rate for full gurgeon?
  7. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit - rates for full gurgeon are as follows:

Greenply - Rs. 105 per square feet
    Goel - Rs. 90 per square feet / Rs. 100 per square feet for marine ply
    Duro - Rs.110 per square feet

These rates are for 18 mm thick ply.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011