1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pls stop there is spark under the hood - Some people trying to trick car drivers

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Shreyas Aterkar, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hi, I thought I should let all know about a recent incident that happened with me. I am from Mumbai and stay near Film City Rod, Goregaon (East).

Yesterday, I filled up petrol from a pump near the Hub Mall on the western express highway. As soon as I left the pump and took a turn for the highway, a person came up and said that there is spark under the hood, another person came up and said the same thing. My first reaction - I stopped the car took out the key and came out to see where is the spark coming from, I didn't see anything, upon asking the guy who stood there, he said "I saw a spark", so my next reaction was to open the bonnet and see if everything is fine. The guy suddenly took out a tool and started fastening a nut near the coil, i said what are you doing, he said I am fastening the nut as its here where the spark is. He said I have corrected it and asked me to start the car, I started the car to check for myself if the spark is actually there. When I started the car and reached the front this is when I saw him doing something with a wire which was attached to one of the plugs, I said whats this, he said the wire has come out and he is putting it again to its original place. I checked it myself, tightened it.

He asked Rs. 120, I said what for? for tightening a nut, he said aap car chala rahe ho 2 wheeler nahi itne to lagenege hi, i said nahi doonga, he said 50 dedo i said kuch kiya hi nahi hai tumne, finally i gave him some Rs. 20-30. Too foolish of me, I suspected something fishy, but just went ahead as was getting late.:uh

Reached home and opened the hood, only to see that the wire was not fitting in its place. It was late to go to any garage, so today morning called up the MASS advisor discussed with him about the problem. Thats when he said that there is a gang that has started doing this and they usually are 2-3 guys warning the car driver of a spark under the hood, get them open the hood and remove this wire. When the car doesn't start or looks like giving a problem they talk about a problem with the coil and charge exhorbitant 5-6k. He said he has received many similar complaints. I went to him, he checked the wire and said that its broken, he immediately got it replaced. Bill – Rs. 280 and some 2 mins to fix it and some 10-15 mins for the advisor to search the wire of the required length.

This is a lengthy post but just wanted to make all you aware of this so that nobody tries to make a fool of anyone.

@ Mods: Pls shift this post to an appropriate forum if this is not the right place
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    LOL .. sry to hear that .. should have been really frustrating ..
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanx Shreyas for alerting other members.

In 21 st century morality is no more. People are searching differant types of new funda to earn money.

In India these types of funny & fishy cases are more.

Afterall Indian Brain is on second Rank in the world for I.Q.
  4. @ Tarun - Yes, it felt frustrating, but at the same time I felt fine as I at least did not get tricked by taking it to the garage nearby and getting my car ruined

@ bhai - I was surprised at this, but then I shouldn't have been, people are thinking innovatively...
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Shreyas Aterkar,thanks for the info..!!
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Shreyas Aterkar thank you so much for sharing this information
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Similar things happen on bangalore roads too, mostly on the ring(rig?) road. Tricks may be different and more cruel.
    Best thing do is not to stop because we know our cars better than anyone on the road. The onboard computer reports most of the issues with the car. If at all you stop do that where there are lots of people around and not in any lonely place.
  8. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This was in the papers last month, a gang on the expressway have taken people for 5-15k! Generally they put camphor and light them up under the hood or something. Has not happened to be, but the cops should really do something. Generally modern cars if anything goes wrong a clear indication will some one in dash. Such as a check engine light, of in case of Fiat the MID would say "Do not stop they are fooling you" :D
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Shreyas thank god that they didn't do anything to hurt you. You should have never ever allowed a 3rd unknown person to touch your car. There are many car theft happening at many places where they usually beat the driver and take away the car. Thanks for the info.
  10. grey_hound

grey_hound Amatore

Good Information & Alert, considering the fact that so many of us travel to and fro between Mumbai & Pune.

Somehow, the cops should be alerted, an operation initiated and these guys caught red handed, if not I keep a baseball club in my car at all times (just because hockey sticks break easily on impact)..just incase ;)

On a more serious note and considering that one of us has actually taken effort to detail, we should start listing what can be done to not be fooled - if everyone doesn't mind I am starting a list (may require updates)

1) Ignore such dubious alerts.
    2) Do not get out of the car.
    3) Be Calm. (best thing in such scenarios, gives the mind space to think)
    4) Drive ahead a little (about 1km), then stop and check if required.

If you have stopped -
    1) Try not to reason out with the people involved.
    2) Try to agree at some nominal amount, these people can be dangerous.
    3) Do not display the contents of your wallet in public.
    4) Ensure all doors / windows are locked / closed before you start to discuss the payment to the people.For all you know, you may pay under Rs. 50 and they may camp away from the back with your valuables.
    5) If possible, drive to the nearest traffic police chowky and report the issue.
    6) Offer to provide a description of events to the police so that they may issue a warning from their side.

Lastly, circulate this beyond TFI amongst friends and relatives to keep everyone safe.
    Hope this helps.