1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Please suggest the Right Fiat for me

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by vinvk, Jan 5, 2016.

1. vinvk

vinvk Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello TFI

I'm going to buy my first car. Please suggest which car should I go for considering the below.

1) I'm 32 years old, male, single, 5'10" in height. Bangalore based IT guy.

2) I've just learned driving. Went for a driving school. Got license. Now going for extra classes just to be in touch with the car and for driving practice. I drove WagonR and New Alto. Didn't like WagonR one bit. Nothing to write about it except, may be the head room. Coming from WagonR, New Alto seemed sporty. I liked the low slung driving position. Car is light and peppy.

3) I'll be using the new car for

Daily commute to office (Marathahalli to Whitefield)
    City run abouts in the weekend (groccery shopping, going to shopping malls, and other places in the city
    Occasional Out of the city trips max. 350km one way(highway, ghat, anything)

Over all mileage would be less than 5000km / year.

4) Prefer petrol to Diesel. I believe Petrol is relatively less polluting. Also cheaper to buy and run ( for my mileage)

5) The road condition in Marathahalli (especially the service roads and inner roads) is pathetic. The service roads have no gravel. In Rainy season it becomes slushy.

6) Other than the fundamental factors like engine, transmission, gearbox, suspension, I also value creature comforts, convenience, and practicality in a car.

Front airbags and Bluetooth Streaming are must for me. Please let me know if any of my below shortlisted cars doesn't spport bluetooth streaming.

7) I've shortlisted FIAT based on online reviews. I'm yet to take test drive of their cars.
    Please suggest which Fiat car would be best suitable for my needs.

Punto Evo: Don't want FIRE Petrol. Dont want 73bhp MJD. That leaves me with 90bhp MJD Emotion

Avventura Abarth: Don't want FIRE Petrol. Diesel variant apparently has hard clutch and some issues wrt. driving position, pedal position etc..

Punto Abarth: Fun petrol engine. My only concern is it's bad road ability. Given that it has Race suspension, want to know how good it is at handling bad patches of road. Especially Bangalore service roads which are kachcha Mud roads in summer and slushy Rally tracks in rainy season.

Avventura Abarth: Fun petrol engine. My only concern is it's hig speed stability. Given the high ground clearance, I want to know how stable it would be on highways at speeds in excess of 120kph. Also, does it support bluetooth streaming?

Linea Tjet: This seems better fit for my needs.
    Tjet engine in it's state of tune matches pefectly with the chassis and suspension setup of the car. It is not an afterthought like in case of Punto/Avventura Abarth.
    Only thing is that I wasn't looking for Sedans. But then if I want Fiat, this seems right choice.

I've also shortlisted few cars of other make. Please suggest how they fare in comparision to Fiat.

Duster Petrol
    Duster Diesel 110 bhp
    Ecosport Petrol/ Ecoboost/Diesel
    Figo Diesel
    Creta Petrol
    Scross Diesel

Thanks
    Vinod
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I would suggest you to go ahead with Abarth Avventura.

Avventura the best suspension setup for a car with 205mm ground clearance. 140HP maddening power with hydraulic engine and best suspension will make better highway cruiser and fun to drive on city roads.

The body roll is very well controlled by FIAT for 205mm GC.

Rugged looks of Avventura will also stand out in crowd. Exotica Red or Zaffrano Orange Avventura looks cool though.

May I ask why you dont want 1.4 FIRE PEtrol engine. It is very very fun to drive on highways and if we talk about 1.2 FIRE it best suited for city road as torque generated is on very low rpm so lesser gear changes required.

FYI. Punto Pure is coming soon with 1.4 FIRE and 1.3 MJD Engine in next month or so with very aggresive pricing from FIAT. Basically it is Grande Punto to be relaunched as Punto Pure.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    May be its just me...but I don't find your requirement(s) and shortlisted car(s) aligned, may be except Ecosport (Ecoboost). Also, you have listed vehicle across various segment and also have missed many more competent petrol engine (outside FIAT).
  4. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have you considered Honda Jazz....
  5. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
  6. vinvk

vinvk Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I just saw the review of Avventura by Powerdrift. The FIRE engines are termed Duds. That's why I was opting for TJET Petrol or MJD.

I like the looks of Evo/avventura better than older punto.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016 ---
    I guess I'm confused. I basically want a good looking, fun to drive four wheeler under 10 lakhs.
    Fiat & Ford are shortlisted on that basis.

I'm basically looking for reasons to elimintae other brands :)
    Hyundai-steering
    Maruti/VW/Honda-styling
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016 ---
    It was there in the initial list. Nice looking spacious car. But will it be as much fun to drive as Punto evo/Avventura/Ecosport?
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Dear, please take all on line reviews with a pinch of salt. they are mostly biased. Rather, experience it yourself and make your observation. Or you may talk to the owners and get their opinion.

I have taken Punto Abarth to very bad roads and found that it is lot better at masking them. Punto Abarth has low GC, So Avventura Abarth may solve that.
    Linea TJet is real fun too.
    Dr Nitin Dutta and prabhjot like this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vinvk I second @metal_heart . I find your requirements very skewed. You want a petrol car and you shun the Fire engines of Fiat. You are not interested in diesel cars (to save environment and I find it amusing), yet you talk about inclination to MJD. Your short listed cars includes hatchbacks, sedans, MUV's etc. I don't blame you either. Even I have gone through the phase after I learnt driving and wanted to take on the world.

Here are my suggestions:
    If your running is 5K kms per year as you said, then stick to petrol. Secondly since you are single, stick to hatchback unless you are a traveller with heavy luggages. If you are too concious of mileage, then shift your loyalties to Maruti or Hyundai. If you still want to be an enthusiast in the initial months of learning driving and your purse permits then go ahead buy the Avvy Abarth or Punto Abarth. The car will never fail to put a smile on your face every time you are behind the steering.

The FIRE engine is a fantastic engine, I am sure you must have taken the TD of the car. If not suggest you do so. Let us know your response post TD.
    Dr Nitin Dutta and prabhjot like this.
  9. vinvk

vinvk Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Yet to start taking test drives. Will do soon.
    By the way I liked your quote: :)
    The status quo is a myth, You are either getting better or getting worse.
  10. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Avventura Powered By Abarth is the more suitable Option.
    Rugged Looks, High GC, Better Ride and Handling, High Speed Stability, 17 Km/Ltr Mileage on Highways. For Fun Part, all Fiat Cars are Fun To Drive
    gpunto75 likes this.