1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Please advice regarding purchase of new punto..

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by saiyanajay, Jun 24, 2012.

1. saiyanajay

Hi there.. I am planning to buy a new car, but confused between punto 2012 and new i20.

Is the after sale service good for punto? The wheelbase is good, but the rear seats are cramped. Handling is perfect. As a matter of fact I liked the experience much more than my Ritz Lxi. Yes there is an initial turbo lag, but in the third gear past 1700 rpm the car flies. About the looks.. the best in class. I also like the tough metal used to build the body.. It feels heavy and solid.

My concerns are..

1. After sale service. I live in Trivandrum in Kerala, not in a metropolitan where there are more service centers. I plan to use this vehicle for more than 5 years.
    2. Rear seat space.
    3. The booming sound after 110 kmph, but I dont usually go beyond 100 kmph.
    4. Last but not the least, I hear that 'new grante punto' is about to arrive, because punto have not received a face lift so far in India. I dont want my model to be outdated as soon as I buy it.

Here is a picture of the new grante punto.

So can u provide any advice regarding the punto 2012? Any help will be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Pick up the MJD after a thorough PDI. i20 is not a valid comparison really. It's like comparing a Royal Enfield to a Bajaj Pulsar.
    The new Punto Evo or Panda or the MPV may be here soon but nobody knows when.
    There is a 90HP Sports variant on sale at the moment, if your budget permits. Else, the 75HP should be just fine.

There are a lot of members from Kerala so somebody will come along and answer those Kerala specific queries.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

I have been using a Punto for the past 34 months with out any issues here in Trivandrum. So go ahead and get one if you like it.

Sent using tapatalk
  4. sungoa2010

The service may not be the best but not the worst. One can expect something between 6-8 out of 10.
    Rear seat space is designed with maximum priority given for safety. It is the longest hatch(European Punto) and the average leg space tells how much space they have use for front passenger safety in case of a impact. From outside one will think Jazz is longer but punto is longer than Jazz. Jazz has lots of cabin space. Then a common sense will tell how much they have compromised for comfort over safety.

All puntos doesn't have that sound. May be the test drive vehicle had it.

Punto never get outdated like other hatch. Look at Fiat vehicles in the past. Go ahead with the decision of Punto.
    1 person likes this.
  5. saiyanajay

Thanks for the info.. Looking at the punto diesel dynamic:)
  6. nobrakes

In Mumbai, I give my Service experience 9/10. What a car.....joy to drive! Very happy with my 1.2 GP.
  7. Advices are spot on. Plus, you're looking at the dynamic model, and if at all u are waiting for the new punto version (IF one's coming), you might see an increase in prices, making you settle for the active or so. the 2012 model is really cool, with the increased GC and lesser turning radius. Go for it NOW!
  8. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Dear saiyanajay...

Most of the queries were answered by our other TFIan Friends...
    Only one suggestion from my end... IMHO, always apply your heart while buying a car(considering its a life protector and a life partner)... Dont allow your or others' brains to interfere...

TD both the vehicles and follow your heart & your gut feeling (you surely will be able to connect your heart with the FGP's heart & thats not the case with any other brands starting with S or H or T in this price range)...

I am sure you will be Proud owner of Fiat Grande Punto soon...

9. saiyanajay

Thank you everyone! All set to buy punto dynamic.. I didn't even test drive i20 because the second option(magna) does not offer ABS and music system.. I also loved the handling of punto during the testdrive. By the way are
    you guys satisfied with the quality of sound from the music system? Should I change the speakers after buying the car?
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Rear seat space : I think this is a misconception. Whenever i have traveled with 3 average sized members in the back seat, all of them have complimented the space availability. Once even i sat at the back, while there were other two people along with me. i could slot in easily minus some comfort. Leave all that, yesterday i had four adults and a child (was on the lap) seated in the back seat of the car, of course with some inconvenience but could manage a trip of around 10 kms without much hassle.

A friend who owns a Polo says, it can hardly seat 3 in the back seat.

I have been owning a 90hp for around a year, it has been a great experience with the car. The tata backed ASS gives you decent after sales support and soon FIAT themselves are going to take up the ASS, it can only get better.
    1 person likes this.