1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Please advice me for dealer negligence: wheel is come out from hub after only 100 km

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by vinod_k, Nov 23, 2012.

1. vinod_k

vinod_k

pune
    Hi All members,

I had done running repaire of My Linea 1.3 multijet 2009 model from Pandit auto pune Authorised fiat service dealer on 5 /11/2012
    The repaire is for Replacement of fromt brake disc & Breake pad on both wheels.
    This repair is done as preventive maintenance.
    After five days & (done only 100 km. in five days) when i going to my native place on 9/11/2012 (its 400 km from pune)
    there is major incident happen at 20 km from pune city, some noise is coming from front left wheel while car is in running condition & speed was 20 km/ hr in city area, when I stop and check the car. The front left side all wheel bolts is come out from hub . I was totally hanged when I see the wheel is come out . My kid & wife with me & we are going for Diwali vacation to my native place. If the wheel is come out at high speed, there should be a major accident should be happen. Who is responsible for this
    The dealer is not done the car maintenance perfectly due to his negligence this incident is happened. They should check wheel bolts & hub thread condition while assembled the wheel. He should check the wheel & its wheel bolt before assembled.
    after then i called Dealer helpline . they ask me about warranty of car...my car is in extended warranty so they cant pick my car from the breakdown place.
    when i given my car to dealer . they refuse my complaint by given resion of allow wheels are fitting in Car & wheel Pins which are used for guiding the wheel while replacement the wheel which are not fitted in hub. they told me that the wheel is removed from axle due to pins are not fitted on hub .

I purchase Linea before 1 year & Allow wheel are fitted by previous owner

Now My questions are:
    1. While running repair of front brakes . they are remove & assembled wheels . why they are not ask me about bolt & hub condition? if hub & bolts are damage/warn out they should inform me .
    2. They are saying that due pins are not fitted in hub , the bolt & hub threads are damage . because pins can resist the axle torque. which will prevent the bolts from failure . but as per my understanding the pins are given for only support & easy fitment of wheels .
    3. I don't think that due to pins , the wheel is not come out from axle. & pins can prevent bolts & hub thread damage
    4.Only my car is not fitted alloy wheel....most of new cars are fitted with alloys & i don't think that due to alloy wheel , the wheel bolts are come out from hub .
    Now my car is hand over to dealer for repair & the dealer is not take responsibility of this damage .
    also i have send mail to fiat service ..but no positive replay from them

Please give me advice about
    1.Hub pins are really resist the torque
    2.should the hub pines can prevent the wheel from remove from hub.
    3. because of alloy wheel , the wheel wiil be remove from hub.
    4.IF there are major accident is happen then who should responsible for that.

Please give me advice

Thanks
    Vinod
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Vinod,

Sad to hear your incident but thank god you were not travelling at high speeds.
    As it is a aftermarket alloy I'm not sure wether FIAT will bear the responsibilty. Is it a 98PCD one or something else? I don't have much of knowledge about wheels. The service centre people should have checked the condition and advised you regarding this.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think the technician at TASS forgot to tight the wheel bolts, after the brake rotors are fitted. Generally, they fit the bolts with the hand upto certain extent after that they will make it full tight with pneumatic tool.

Even if it is an after market alloy, it is not supposed to come out of the hub when the car is running. If there is fault with the bolts or PCD discrepancy then it would have come out of the hub earlier.

Anyway, happy to see that nothing serious happened.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Vinod,

This is really a serious issue. And good to heat that you & your family is safe.

You must have the maintenance receipt with you. Keep this as the record for making a complaint against them.

If they have done the break replacement job during the maintenance, during this they should have removed your wheels not the hub.
    If hub pin is not there then they have to inform you immediately. But that was not done from their side.

So please lodge your complaint to FIAT against the dealer & the SA, who has inspected your car before & after the maintenance.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    My understanding is as below:

- You got repairs done (Brake Discs/ Pads) from TASC
    - In 5 days after this repair, wheel bolts are found loose or wheel came out.
    - Assumption - In the Job Card, TASC has not mentioned issue with Wheel bolts or threading or pins etc etc. Nothing is written. (My understanding is an ASC is mandatorily required to mention repairs needed on Job card - at times, it uses this to absolve from any future responsibility where customer has not agreed for a repair inspite of ASC mentioning that it is required.)
    - Assumption - You have not fixed wheel / alloys which are not as per Fiat specifications.

If the above is true, you can demand the repairs and place the responsibility on TASC. You can also ask them how was it working earlier and the wheel did not come out earlier all along before TASC repaired the car for Brake Discs/ Pads.
    1 person likes this.
  6. vinod_k

vinod_k

pune
    Hi All,
    Thanks for replay ...Now the Car is in Service center & waiting for hub material . they told me that ...they will not charge the labour charges...but need to pay 14000k for hub both side..
    I had complaint to fiat @ this failure but no reply
  7. vinod_k

vinod_k

pune
    Thanks Naveen.. PCD of alloy wheel is correct.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Why don't you stick to your guns? That the issue is created by TASC as it has surfaced only after TASC repaired / replaced Brake Discs/ Pads only.
    2 people like this.
  9. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Vinod,
    This is a serious lapse from TASC which could be a fatal accident, luckily with god grace you & your family is safe. You have to lodge a strict complaint to the highest level if this issue is not resolved by the dealer free of cost, as the problem is due to negligence on their part. There may be a equipment failure any pin or whatever component was missing, dealer must have informed you at the time of repairs. But how come a wheel bolts can come out unless they are not tighten properly? I think wheels bots are designed in such a way that when wheel spins and torque is applied they get tighten their own (I think its like mixer blades). If not tightens but don't get loose.
    You can threaten him by lodging a complaint in customer care or something like that.
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Me, also heard the same thing. Even, if the wheel bolts are moderately tight they will get full tight when the vehicle starts rolling. However, I can not check this.

They won't budge if you threaten to complain to customer care but if you threaten them to drag to court.