1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plastic strip on dashboard?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Relativity, Oct 18, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Even I feel the purpose of that sensor is to detect sunlight.
    I have heard the ACC switching the blower speed to high (suddenly) whenever bright sun light falls on this sensor after driving under shadow (or moderate sunlight) for a while. I have experienced this often in the morning time.

I do hear feeble rattles when driving over rough road surface. I thought it's somewhere from inside the dash. Will check this panel once. Thanks :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

How about taking a test drive to see if the noise goes away without the panel? Once confirmed, you can think of the best way to fix it.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, the blower increases the speed that way. But I feel the sunlight is translated as an increased temperature input to the ACC unit. Otherwise, everytime some light falls on the sensor, it should set it off. Or can we call this a solar/IR sensor? I maybe wrong.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    YesDriv3r. Because the ultimate aim is to detect the amount of incoming sunlight (Infrared component is responsible for heating effect) to compensate for the cabin heating because of sunlight/infrared component.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes you can. something similar was done in my car at FASS some time back. The strip was taken out , the connector under it was disconnected. Then the guy glued a layer of foam under it around the edges (to take care of rattles) and clipped it back on.

Be careful if you use superglue to hold it in place instead of the clips - it might have negative effects on the dashboard surface , especially since that part of the dashboard is most exposed to sunlight..
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Yes. This panel is one major reason behind the dashboard rattle.
    The rattle has reduced around 80% when I took a test drive without this panel.
    Have used some double sided foam sticker to see if the rattle reduces with the panel in place.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk