1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plastic strip on dashboard?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Relativity, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    There is a big strip of plastic at the end of the dashboard, right where it meets the windshield. It keeps rattling and recently was fixed with some glue or something by the service center. I want to remove it completely and seal with quick fix but I am not sure what purpose does it serve. Is it a thermostat for the AC or something else?
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That is the AC vent for de fogging the front windshield.
    1 person likes this.
  4. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Chennai
    PIC1dash.jpg
    Can any one tell what is the use of this iteam? i hope i am getting rattling from this. @Relativity: Sorry for my post.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

@testdrive: That is the temperature sensor for the Climate Control unit.
    2 people like this.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @testdrive and @Driv3r- I thought thats a "sunlight sensor" for climate control system. The external temperature sensor is located on the underside of the left ORVM and the cabin temperature sensors are located in the climate control fascia itself inside the two minute grill like structures on either side.

Attaching a pic of center console that I once received from some Linea owner. The cabin temperature sensors are encircled in red.

IMG-20121110-WA0000.jpg
    2 people like this.
  7. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Chennai
    @Paddleshifter, @Driv3R: Thank you for your detailed information.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Why would light be measured as input to the climate control? It is not a light sensor, it is a temperature sensor. More sunlight = Higher temperature input to the ACC unit. Light sensors are used only for AUTO headlamps, as in 2012 Lineas. :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Driv3r, @Yashik both are right.

The sensors that control the climate control unit are the sun sensor and cabin temperature sensor. The sun sensor is the dome shaped unit located in the middle of the defrost vents on top of the dash. This adjusts the climate control system to compensate for the hot sun glaring into your car. The cabin air temperature sensor measures the cabin temperature by the small vent that is located above the climate controls.

I have seen cars that also use the sun sensor to automatically flip the visor down, depending on the angle the sun ray hit the sensor :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thank You for all the responses. Now, my question is can I pull the entire strip out and stick it back with lot of Fewikwick / Quickfix to kill the rattles?