1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    People are being fleeced by the LED-LCD tuff. In reality LED LCD is nothing more than a regular LCD which instead of being lit from the back by a CFL is now being lit by use of LEDs. though they have come far from what they were some time back, any LED LCD still can not match the picture quality and the natural colour representation of a Plasma. esp. Black levels which is no competition to Plasma. Also high speed action scenes or fast paced games are where plasma really shine.

Sure there's a bit of a problem of more power consumption and glare/ reflection of the plasma surface since it's pure glass, but I then for greater picture quality these are small compromises.
    ramjn likes this.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well I own a 50 incher full HD 3D plasma from Samsung. I have used LEDs and LCDs in past and if one asks me to sum up the difference this is how it would go

Plasma : The FIAT of TV industry. The core values are intact. The picture quality. the colors,the contrast and the clarity are superb. Best seen in dark rooms( highways). There are costlier ones which are equally good in daylight due to non reflective screen but is pretty costly as the sizes are 64 and above. The downsides being more power consumption( when compared to LED). Gone are days of old when the consumption used to be huge. I get a bill of around 700 bucks in winter and 1000 bucks in summer with my Plasma on for around 3-5 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends. The heat dissipation , image retention and burn in. The older plasmas had these issues in plenty. The modern ones this has been taken care of though not eliminated completely. Visual connoisseur may be able toi make out image retention issues. I get it sometimes when the TV is switched on I usually see the image of Channel logo that we were watching the last time before the TV was switched off. Though I can make that out my wife or kiddo are never able to see it. it stays for 2-3 minutes and then vanishes. One can see it generally in grey areas. Burn in most companies say that modern plasamas do not have this issue. I did follow the burn in rule though. Nothing comes close to Plasmas as far as PQ is concerned except for UHDs and OLEDs which are very costly now. Want to watch HD 3D in full glory nothing comes close to Plasmas.

LEDs: The HYUNDAI of TV industry. Many features when compared to Plasma. To a normal viewer LEDs looks better due to inherent brighter nature compared to Plasma. Better viweing in lighted rooms. Lesser power consumption. Generic SD and HD channels looks good. Watch 3D HD side by side with Plasma and you will difference that I am talking about. The colors and contrast are no match to Plasma. The 3D looks more life like and the experience is more cinematic in Plasmas. Gaming is more immersive in Plasma due to better refresh rates for same price range. LEDs when compared to Plasams of same size and features will usually be close to double the price. This trend will continue in future till UHDs and OLEDs become more affordable pusing the rates of LEDs further southwards.

LCDs are history now and should be bought only when on shoe string budget.

But the info that Plasma is going to stop is not correct. Panasonic the leaders in Plasam have confirmed that they will continue selling Plasmas in future and LG/Samsung are commited to there Plasmas range as well. Most western countries Plasmas have good market share as well.

As far as India and Asian countries are concerned the Plasmas are treated similar to Fiats and other German manufatcurers. People know less about these and assume they are not as good as LEDs. They go by what friends and neighbor has to say and do not try it themselves. So lesser sales of Plasmas , the support thin and they are as good as Fiats in India.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    +1 to @nibedk . You summed it perfectly buddy.

I own a 50" LG plasma and nothing compares to the pic quality reproduction in a Plasma TV. LED TV are basically sold with higher brightness in ther showrooms which tend to misled people into buying them basically for looks rather than for technicality. During my TV buying process, I used to take my own choice of film and run them across all TV's on display and confirm. Apart from pic quality sound quality also does play a major role when it comes to choosing a TV. These days I have seen many a showrooms sell the sound bars along with TV either offered free or for a minimal amount.

Happy to know that I have a Fiat inside my house too.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Completely agree. Majority of the population are ignorant and think that LED is the new technology in TV's. Actually it is not. It still uses LCD panels lit by LED's instead of CFL's. This TV should be called LCD-LED TV and not just LED. This LED thing is cleverly marketed by the TV companies led by Samsung as if they have brought another new technology. :)

Again, I am completely with the Plasma compared to LCD panels.
    platinumshine likes this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The only issue with Plasma is that manufacturers are not putting any money for its upgrade and even few (I think Panasonic (one time best producer of Plasma TV) are stopping to manufacture.

Flipkart has decent details on these - http://www.flipkart.com/buying-guide/tv
  6. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Panasonic recently confirmed that they are committed to their Plasma line up. I think it was there on Dpreview.com some 6-8 months back. This is after the rumor that they are quitting Plasma altogether. Panasonic came out to clarify on this later. I wouldn't trust sites like flipkart on such thimgs.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Dealers should be making more money selling LCDs. Any local dealer will try to push LCDs than Plasmas. Online dealers may do the same.

And BTW, I think Panasonic is the inventor of Plasma technology.
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Talking about Tvs,not long ago before the customs regulations came in,you can go on a tour to any asian country,come back with a Tv and the price difference would cover the tour cost.
    I had bought both my Lg led tvs from Dubai and Bangkok and they are excellent even after 4 years of purchase.
    I think you can no longer bring in tvs from abroad.
    As an alternative,websites like ebay.in sell tvs for a similar price,so shouldn't be a loss.
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala, you can bring TV from there. You can still get much better models in a deal there. Although I agree it would not mean covering expenses of trip. Just that you get a better model at a bargain price. You should also know what is a good product worth the hassle to get from abroad. I know this because last week some known person managed to get one via his friend from Singapore I think. Ofcourse there must be price restrictions to how expensive goods you can bring before you pay them heavy taxes.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    No, earlier you can bring in goods upto Rs,25,000 worth without paying custom duty and hence 32 inch tvs can be brought in through green channel.After the recession, a new law is in place where you can not bring in tvs with out custom duty.With custom duty the price would be higher that the Indian mrp.
    Small goods can be sneaked, like mobile phones but tvs can not be hidden.
    Again it depends on luck, many times I've seen no people in customs to check, worse no man to check if the passenger is picking the right bag.
    It also depends on the country from where the flight arrives.If from west,it might not be checked since the price there would be on par or even higher, except the US.