1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I had a bitter experience on ebay as well flipcart they are not worth for big purchase and most of the products you get from them are not bought straight out of the store but from the grey markets that's the reason the huge price difference. post sales support and service is pathetic from such sources..
  2. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    ...in a nutshell,

PLASMA Televisions--
    -though plasma technology is true with regards to colour reproduction of the content as intended by the creater but it is on its way out.
    -plasma draws more electricity than competing LCD displays(conventional and LED backlights both)

LCD Televisions (liquid crystal display)--
    -LCD with conventional ccfl (cold cathode fluorescent) backlight is old technology waiting for inventory to be cleared. (avoid as far as possible)
    -LED backlights are the current generation (mass produced) ones, but have more saturated and punchy colour levels (unnatural in general) but are popular and draws more crowd at its display section in a showroom. (talk of flashy japanese/korean cars and more matured staying of european cars)
    -Of course its slim profile is another bestselling feature aswell!
    - Well the low power consumption feature not too many buyers are aware. (though of late the sales people are thankfully seen promoting that point aswell.)

*Main feature according to me in todays context is its power consumption which is much lower than that of plasma television! (talk of green cars!)

regards
    HERBIE
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Any feedback/review on Micromax LED TVs?
    Currently, 50" LED is selling at ~33K, on flipkart.
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The mnemonics on them LCDs can be confusing. 50C series is 49" (124cm) vs 50B which is 50" (127cm) priced very similar. Not a bad deal if you have a service center nearby. As we know that OEM Panel manufacturers are amongst the most few Japanese and Korean firms combined. Rest of the lot just rebadge it. If you have or had a Videocon at home, no reason why you can't buy a Micromax.
    Ravi likes this.
  5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I feel the model 50B5000FHD 127 CM (50) is the latest model. and better too .
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    My 2 encounters with micromax weren't good.
    One is direct - I bought a micromax funbook ( or something name) for my parents only for video chat.
    It went dead in couple of months. Gave it to service center, don't know what they did, it was still the same. I didn't bothered further.
    Second indirect- my brother in law bought a micromax smartphone- don't know the name. It didn't survived even an year. It's battery got swollen.
    Ravi likes this.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I believe it is time to look at projectors. Not, conventional light bulb ones. Look at laser projectors. Budget may have to be stretched a bit because high resolution laser projectors are still little expensive.

Advantages:
    • Relatively lower power consumption.
    • Very small form factor (they fit in a palm). No need to say they are feather light.
    • Practically unlimited light source life (probably the light source will outlive rest of the projector life)
    • Very big picture :D
    • Perfect focus on even undulating surfaces! That is the amazing thing about laser projectors.
    Disadvantages:
    • Not a very good option for people on the move (living in rented homes) because wiring and installing the projectors in a new home every 2 or 3 years is a hassle.
    • Need for a good set of speakers as speakers built into the projector (if it has) are useless.
    • Need a room with blinds. Does not need to be pitch dark like a movie hall, but can't be brightly lit.
    I have decided - My current TV screen replacement (whenever that happens) will be a laser projector.
    Ravi likes this.
  9. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Just bought Micromax 50 inch LED,50B5000FHD model.
    33,500 in Snapdeal, took a week for shipping and installation was done in a day.
    This is my first LED TV, had AOC 3d monitor in bed room so far, as I have not had much of experience with big brands of this size, can't fairly compare with them.
    Otherwise the set is good great clarity and reasonable audio,SRS sound is bit low.
    My hall size is 11X17 and I don't use audio level beyond 25 for a comfortable viewing.
    USB plays most of the formats.
    You can connect Chromecast to converted it into smart TV.
    Had been eyeing Vu 4k, but as its 75 k and not much 4k content available as of now decided not to waste 40 k.
    Just came to know about 4k from Micromax for 50 K:banghead:cant help feeling bit let down ,anyway,it does not have 3D and no mention of upscaling like Vu...( how else can I passify myself)...
    Will keep the group informed about performance regularly.....
    Bala, Sujit508, Ravi and 1 other person like this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You are right @Mabams1826, its like having a 400bhp car and no road to drive. Don't worry at all about 4k atleast for the next few years. It could make sense to have a future proof TV at say 75K price. As such huge population still has not migrated to HD or FULL HD for TV itself. Even movies are not available so much in 4k, so no problem I guess.
    Mabams1826 likes this.