1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I started this thread but somehow never upgraded to LCD/LED/Plasma from the current CRT TV which we use at our home :). Now, I ordered a 23" LED LCD TV for my use at US. My plan is to carry this back to India when I come back. It costed $139.00.

Coby.jpg

Brief Spec - Coby 23" Class 1080p Widescreen LED HDTV:
    16:9 LED panel
    With a 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
    23" class screen size
    23" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
    Detachable stand mount
    See a clear picture on any flat surface in the room
    Built-in digital tuner
    Watch digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available
    High brightness of 250cd/m2 with 6.5 ms response time
    Place your TV anywhere
    3,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
    HDMI Inputs: 1
    Enjoy a superior HD experience with HDMI one cable solution
    VGA port
    Use your TV as a computer monitor, enjoying connectivity to the Internet
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I think u can find the good brand led tv for some where below 15k in India.. i would suggest bring big 3d tv.. those are very cheap in Us,European and Middle East markets.

Important Note.. the current usage in Us 110v,60hz and India we use 220v,50hz. In India we use PAL and Us they use NTSC format.. but if ur using HDMI..that would not be a problem..

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

just came across this..

"Guys

Those of us who are looking for taking their LEDs to India or gift an LED to someone in India here are some lessons learned first hand in last few days.

1. Size of TV - 32 or smaller are priced reasonably. But for 40 inches or more it makes economic sense to take them to India.
    2. Size of TV - 32-36 inches will go as one piece of baggage with your airline. But 40 inches and more will go as OVERSIZE and will cost you approx $200. So be prepared for that cost.
    3. Voltage - India has 220 volts. US has 110 volts. So be prepared to buy a voltage converter. Do that in India and buy an industrial grade coverter if possible.
    4. Customs - Upto 25K Rs import is free. So travelling with family should waive the custom duty for most TVs.
    5. NTSC vs PAL - This is the worst hurddle in moving a TV to India. NTSC is North American standard for color TVs and PAL is used in rest of the world including India. Most TVs in US required NTSC. There are 3-4 ways to make your NTSC TV work in India:
    ---------- a. Buy an NTSC-PAL coverter from US (since in India is tough to get a good quality one).
    ---------- b. Install Direct TV in India with your own Dish. That signal is digital. So NTSC PAL doesn't apply there.
    ---------- c. Work with your local Cable provider to change the settings of the incoming signal to NTSC vs PAL in the settop box that they provide.

So all in all - there is some hassle and costs in taking a TV to india. But it can work. Good luck!"
    source:Taking an LED TV to India from US
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Very informative indeed. I was aware of the voltage issues but not the NTSC thing. Thanks for sharing thomman85.

Can I assume here that if I use the DTH service in India like Tata Sky or Airtel, I would not need a NTSC to PAL converter?
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Most branded TVs have multi-system support ie support for PAL, NTSC. Check out specs of Coby if it has multisystrm support

however main issue for you would be power frequency conversion - while voltage convertors are available, they do not convert frequency. I have some equipment brought from US during my trips. The life of the equipment is less due to this and some things do not work properly - for example powered clocks do not work properly as power frequency is different

my advice - buy a TV which has multisystem support and works at different voltages
    check online on bestbuy, frys, circuitcity for some models
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    so the problem started,my plasma tv panel got kaput,logged a call to customer care,intitially it was a replacement of the panel under warranty and was agrred for the same and later came to know the model was stopped from samsung india.hence as per samsung policy ready to refund me the whole amount of tv.

Now my hunt of 3D tv starts again. ;)

i'm big fan of Plasma considering the true colors and also low budget.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Freinds,
    i have decided to buy with the below model,but still in dilemma with LG product.
    Have anyone used or using LG LCD/LED/PLASMA ?

LG*WHERE TO BUY*| LG Electronics IN

the offer price is 46000 INR against 54000 INR
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3

done with LG smart 3d plasma tv ;)
    1 person likes this.
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
  9. sankulamb

sankulamb

bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  10. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Thats great Sanku. Can you share the exact link from ebay where you got from and also the time taken for delivery? 35 K for this model is a steal in my opinion