1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

if you want plasma- panasonic is the leader.

if you want LCD - sony is better

if you want LED - LG-samsung-sony is better

if you want 3d led- LG wins , then samsung then sony
  2. kaps

kaps Superiore

Plasma TV had its USP in showing better blacks thus leading to better contrast ratios. With modern sets, this problem is no more there on LCD/LED. LED is nothing but a LCD with LED illumination instead of CFL. Most LED TVs provide illumination from edges and not full LED illumination. There is hardly any loss though with the quality of panels, picture quality etc.

Plasma had a major disadvantage in picture burning but modern sets have overcome this limitation to a large extent. However, life of a plasma is shorter compared to LCD due to loss of argon over a period of time. This seems to be the sole reason why major manufacturers have shifted to LCD in addition to the cost benefits.

What should you buy? Frankly, it won't make a difference if you are not watching HD content. even if its HD, there won't be huge visible difference. It is only a placebo thing that picture in A is better than in B. Panasonic plasma screens are the best and Viera series is outstanding. In fact Panasonic is the only manufacturer selling plasma vigorously. In LCD, best panels are manufactured by Samsung. Take a look at their smaller siblings (Galaxy series phones) and you will understand. Major difference will be in refresh rate and viewing angle. I bought Samsung 7 series three years back and its performance is more than adequate. Modern screens are same, albeit with better refresh rates and plethora of networking options thrown in.

If you are getting a plasma cheap, you should go for it, but I have my doubts if it will last, as far as contrasts are concerned, as long as your CRT did.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I have recently bought a 50" Plasma TV for 49k. Model is LG 50PT350R.

I selected this TV just because it's screen resolution is 1024x768.

That's right. I don't think buying a 1080p Full HD display is a great idea if you will be restricting yourself to watching TV only. (Disclaimer- Most of you won't agree with me but still this is what I firmly believe in.) :p

A Full HD 1080p display is best and the minimum you should buy if you intend to watch Blue-Ray HD movies or play XBOX 360 or PS3.

I have seen that my Plasma with 1024x768 resolution plays a lot lot better than full HD TVs when it comes to channels that are still being broadcast in SD format. On AirTel HD box that we have, only one sports channel is HD while only 7 HD channels are available.

I don't think that all channels will be in full HD 1080p broadcast for another 1-2 years so why spend on full HD TV now and get stuck with a SD broadcast? Even the current HD channels are mostly upscaled versions only with 1080i display after upscaling.

Still, if you want a Full HD display, a 50 inch Panasonic Full HD plasma costs around Rs60k.

One Major CON of a Plasma TV is that it is prone to burn-in whereas LCD/LED TVs are far unlikely to be damaged by burn-in.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Lot of replies. Thanks guys.

Are you sure about the cost? My friend bought 42" Panosonic Full HD Plasma for around 62K couple of months back. Is the price has come down for the Panasonic Plasmas?
  5. PaddleShifter

Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, I am sure about the cost. A Full HD Panasonic Plasma 50 inch was quoted at exact 60k around 10 days back at Chandigarh. I don't remember the exact model number but I think it ended with U20 or something.

They were also offering a wireless Logitech keyboard and some coupon etc. with it.
  6. You can check current prices of all mobile / TV / etc at www.flipkart.com they give you some idea about the price feedback for most popular brands.

The shopping malls and mega stores have different serial numbers than retail market, but all the serial numbers are similar.

so compare the prices and decide.
  7. PaddleShifter

Grande Punto 1.3
  8. Now current prices are in between 46K for LG 50PT350R
  9. PaddleShifter

Grande Punto 1.3
    The model in discussion was priced at 46k at flipkart even before I bought mine.

By the way, the LG Cinema 3D TV, model 42LW5700 was what I wanted to buy. MRP at LG website was 95k, whereas LG gave a special offer in newspaper at a price of 85k for the same TV. The best price quoted in Chandigarh was 79k whereas flipkart was offering the same at 72k.

So, flipkart definitely gives better offers as compared to any store in your area but it depends upon the place you are living at as well. In rural Haryana, the same TV that goes for 72k at flipkart sells for 85k whereas it costs 79k in Chandigarh as stated above.
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

plasma shall give you the best color, contrast. Black shall appear black in plasma. On the other hand, plasma cobsumes more power and is heavier. The image burning problem is now almost a thing of the past

Led and LCDs cannot match the color and contrast of plasma. In case you do decide on LED then please choose one that has a good refresh rate. The cheap LED TVs do not have good refresh rate

My advice is to go in for plasma TV atleast 42 inches size. Also try to buy one of the latest models and not those that are couple of years old.