1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. rejin_r

rejin_r Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    i dont want to freak out all the people buying MMX, but one ofS my friend had a very bad experience with the Micromax tv.
    He has shared his experience here.

Anyway, i stopped recommending MMX to anyone after this ordeal

@Mods can delete the post, if posting external link is not allowed on this forum.

@Sujit508, the setup looks really nice. which Amp and speakers are you using?
    My 0.02c, Consider wall mounting that Modem, and piping the cables.
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT

HI Rejin,

Its more of a gamble with MMx on these tvs. I will be okay if it lasts for 3 years . ( now 33 months more).

I am using my 10 year old SONY str K750p / str 495de - with sony 5.1 and 8inch Active Sub. The sound is real good when connected to the external Sound card via optical. :headphone:

And the wiring has been taken care of. Major reshuffle of furniture , so all of the wires are concealed now. :happy:
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I payed little over 1L.
    Phasing out not sure. 900 and 950 are their latest series. Even 700 and 800 are available. I guess they will phase out sooner.

I have around 9ft viewing distance in my home, and even 60+ inch is ok for this distance, for HD channels.
    Have a look at http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PsesiJa81d3/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Bringing the old thread alive after more than a year!

I am now looking for a replacement of my 8 year old, 32" LCD TV (Samsung, full HD). I wish to go for a 50" full HD LED TV (not smart, not 3D, not curved, not 4K), but am open for smart advice! Any inputs from those who did research for own buy or are researchers anyway are welcome. My budget range is 50K to 70K. I am also considering a sound bar to enhance the audio OR a full Home Theatre.

I was advised by some friend and also read on internet against curved and smart TVs. But may consider 4K, if in my budget. Some also advised that I can go for other than top brands (SONY, Samsung, LG - MS / Hyu /Honda?) and choose from Videocon, VU, Micromax etc.

Please advice.
  5. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Just my few points here. The TV business is getting like mobile business with a motto of drive customers to buy it and throw/exchange off for a paltry price after 3-4 years maximum. So investing a lot for a TV for 3-4 years is it worth? I also was in similar conundrum until last week when I finalised to replace my 32" LCD (Sony which lasted for 5 years and screen got whitened last week) with another LED HD ready 32" Micromax. There is always fear of TV going kaput one fine day without any notice as my Brother's Samsung 40+" went so few months back and the repair costs about 20K:woot:. The funny part is my 2006 purchased 29" Onida CRT is still in top condition and is my saving grace during any cricket season. So in case you buy any TV just buy with extended warranty for atleast 3 years so that some solace you get out of it in case of repairs.

P.S: Is there an Apple product in LED TVs? Just buy it. Although may cost a nano price but lasts for life. My IPOD classic is a classical example.
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Apple does not sell TV's. They only sell Streaming device in the name of Apple TV. In my opinion they have confused lot of people by the name Apple TV.

May I also suggest Panasonic? It may be worth having a look at it too.
    ravikn likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    VU and others are good. But for picture quality Sony Triluminous. Not the ordinary Sony with premium price for name. Apparently processing is key too along with panel quality. Grade A panel with bad processing shows up.

Definitely 4K shouldn't be a focus just yet.
    For soundbar Philips makes great value for money with DSP based models that produce great filling sound in such small packages. There are multiple models, buy the best you can without breaking budget too much.

We had kinda hung jury on which one to buy after looking at various models. Me personally fixated on Panny 55" or 65 don't remember which. With Panasonic India you can buy extented warranty directly from Panasonic but recheck models supported for same.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    Yes Ipod is made for longevity. With Tarkan mod you can even revive it to store on sdhc incase hdd goes kaput. I have no grudge against apple except one would expect them to follow certain laws of physics like developing a proper heatsink design for a premium product like iMac or mac book pros. Thousands of customers had to pay dearly for that stunt they pull off on account of design and asthetics and appeal. Bad thermal design equals sudden death. But I guess it doesn't matter. Die-hard Apple users can't or don't seem bothered by these setbacks.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I am trying to converge on 50" Full HD SONY, but seems it is not dumb, so may have to accept Android one. I am baffled by the numbering system - at some places it has 3 digits like 850 / 750 and in the shop it shows W56D, W75D. On the net, I am unable to find a complete and latest list of all SONY. I am also undecided whether to go for IPS or VA and direct or edge. Sales person tells that edge LED get heated due to thin structure. I also want good sound. There is lot of research to be done. Life was so simple then!!

Any inputs?