1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plasma or LCD or LED-LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ramjn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thinking about getting a new TV after using CRT till now. With lots of options available currently in the market, with various recommendations from my friends, I confused over which one to opt.

One of my friend strongly recommends Plasma. His take is that only plasma can give true colors and the picture won't be cartoonish if the feed is not HD. He himself bought a Panasonic Full HD plasma for around Rs. 60k and he is completely satisfied with it.

What do you guys think and recommend?
  2. I prefer plasma. I am having lcd tv also. Picture clarity is best in plasma.

Mine is samsung plasma+1 3d tv 43".

Enjoy......
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I have got a Samsung 42" LED Series 5 last year for 75k and got a Philps Home theater worth 11k for 1000 Rs. and Airtel HD connection for free as an offer and I am highly satisfied with the performance. I have switched to Tata Sky HD+ recently with recorder couple of months back though.

The best thing about my TV is that it plays almost all formats of videos and takes only couple of seconds to read a 500GB Hard disk and plays videos/movies/music from it. I absolutely love it.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I would say it depends on the size of TV. If you are going for a bigger TV say 40 " plus, then go for plasma, else stick on to the LED-LCD TV.Plasma offers more wider viewing angles. Click here for a page which offers some comparison.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. I have Sony Bravia Cx-42, I compared to LED TV of Sonny make, but felt black and white colors were much better in LCD than SONY LED!!

I went of LCD although power consumption is 80 watt more.

I have been a TV service personnel with ONIDA myself in the past ,I can tell when it comes to colors other brands lags behind Sony.

I had Sony Wega CRT , went O videocon integra but switched back to Sony although it's bit expensive than other brands.

I just told what i have seen and felt, please don't flame me :)
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I am planning for the 42" size. Plasma seems to be the cheapest of the lot. But, couldn't arrive at which is better.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    For the normal SD Channel usage what we use a lot I would recommend a Plasma, It gives more bang for bucks (Got a 42" Panasonic HD for about 35K). I'm not entirely sure if you get the LED TV's at that price range. I've lost touch with these LED Stuff but aren't these not pseudo-LED's and not the actual LED's because the bigger sized one's aren't commercialized yet? I like to the blacks in the Plasma's better than the LED's & LCD's.

Things to worry about in Plasma TV's are the Power consumption & Image Burning. Also for the First 100-200 hours of running you should be doing a "run-in" like the cars, I did the same and still don't seem to have any issue yet. Modern Plasmas have got better really in the image burning aspects so I don't really think you should worry about that. Plasma screens I've seen are highly reflective like your CRT TV and hence a proper light controlled environment may be required to get a proper viewing experience. Get a proper Media tank like Pop Corn hour or WDTV which can be really useful to enjoy the HD experience.
  8. LED with HD Dish connection will any time better, Sony on top. Samsung / LG also found good. Panasonic offering good prices in India as compare with other countries.

When we compare all the brands on shop, we can notice the bit difference, but all doing well at home, because no comparison.

so decide as per your budget. 42" any time better than 32". Plasma's are Power Hungry.

All the best.
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    I have Panny 42" LCD + Sonodyne Soundbar. Panny was the best at the time I owned it.

I feel the SMART TV's will be good. Always prefer to go for only a TV purchase, never go for free bundled soundbar + blu ray player that they try to sell it. It might give a feel of less price for more, but as a bundle they never sound good.

As a brand I like Panasonic over other brands and as a customer I am fully satisfied. Hitachi is also good, but service options are lesser

Energy Utilisation : Plasma > LCD > LED
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I would recommend a LED,I have a 42 LG LE5300,the pq is so good that we don't miss even the advertisments!Even the SD channels looks like HD in this TV