1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning to change the factory fit Music system

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by achebrol, May 28, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mikk, there is a Microsoft Blue&Me system CPU in the roof of the glovebox. Open the glovebox tomorrow. You will see a Microsoft logo and USB port inside. That system houses the media player, bluetooth, voice commands etc.

Changing the head unit means you lose the Microsoft Blue&Me function and steering mounted controls, though its possible to make the steering controls work with after market head unit using kit.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. mikk_p

mikk_p

ANAND GUJARAT
    Thanks a lot PaddleShifter,

the moral of the story is "The bluepunkt HU is used just for aux switching and that is for sound routing " so what kind of HU should be installed to keep the b&m running?

and there has to be something that is between B&M and my HU, so what would be the sequence of connection
    HU + B&M + SMC kind of things

and you've mentioned about some kit to keep the SMC working ... ?? what is that?? if possible forward me the link..
    1 person likes this.
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mikk, I am using my cell phone right now on a slow network. There is an encyclopedic proportion of relevant info on this subject at TFI. I will get back with links in the evening.

In the meanwhile, search for two important threads:

1. ICE considerations by Johnny. Check page 8 and 9. I have posted pics of connection of Hu with BnM.

2. Italia Linea has posted a thread regarding a head unit that will support BnM as well as SMC.

Keep in mind that the tech used by FIAT is complex and nit easy to fiddle with. Be it 98PCD alloys, the unique ICE system provided or the central locking in older Punto Active, most projects have been partially successful with jugaad work only. A FIAT Punto and Linea Emotion variant cant be altered much except for stickers and headlights etc.

Edit- Moral of the story is simple. :) Change the head unit and lose the following:
    1. BnM USB Port, voice commands, Media player, bluetooth connectivity etc.
    2. Steering mounted controls.
    3. The stock look of integrated dash console.
    4. Theft deterrant (inbuilt head units are slightly deterrant for theft as they come with code and are useless once removed from the car. An experienced thief is more likely to go for aftermarket head unit).

So, rather than changing the head unit, try to research if its possibke to add a second head unit. One of the TFIan was told bya installer that it is possible to add a second HU in the glovebox compartment. I havent heard of this possibility before. The discussion was posted on TFI's facebook page. I will paste it here in the evening.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
  5. Prabhakaran

Prabhakaran Timido

Chennai
  6. vamsi

vamsi Novizio

Bangalore
  7. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    called up the guys who make this. they said, they need a min order of atleast 20 to make it financially viable. anyways... they are looking if they have any left from the "previous batch"... when i asked them, where was this shipped previously, they said, to INDIA!!!!
    trying my level best to source them, have mailed them and also put a product enquiry.. fingers crossed. expected reply is by tuesday..
    1 person likes this.
  8. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is just one issue. You need to manipulate the center console and move the hazard warning switch assembly above AC vents. Unless the supplier is supplying the whole center console. :p

In case, you are able to do this manipulation locally (which you have to do anyways), why not go for a 2-DIN 7" HU anyways? Or perhaps a 1-DIN HU with motorized flip out display, transporter style. I believe the cost wont be too much different since similar stereos (OEM lookalikes) from caska cost anywhere around 35000/- for verna.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Do u know the approx customs duty for shipping car electnics into India? I think its over 25%.

I have got away with 0 customs duty with products about 30$ worth but its difficult for high value products like these.

And if its the whole center console they are selling, I predict their price to be over 600$.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    these guys save on customs duty by showing a value much lesser than the actual value on your bill .. and as such its chinese. i wouldnt mind the warranty nad such stuff if they can provide me with all the accessories and them having the necessary fit and finish..