1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning to Buy Car

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by rajeev_shrivastava45, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Good morning all of you team members,

Myself Rajeev. i need some help from u guys. i am planning to buy a car i let u know that i am new with cars i dont know anything ABOUT CARS. i of my friend told about the Punto. so guys help me santo, punto, which one but this should be between 4 to 5 lakes./
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    1st Let me welcome you to Team FIAT India.

The answer of your question is Punto, you can not compare Santro with Punto both the cars are from different segment.

As per you inputs provided you are looking for Petrol car. But I will suggest you to go for Diesel car & priority is to Punto Diesel 76HP.

If you stretch out your budget by 60k you will get Punto Active Diesel & you will never regret your decision.

You did not mention your city. If I get you city I will provide you approximate price of Punto Active Diesel

FYI:- Active is base variant of Punto. :)
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome to TFI,
    Try to test drive all the cars that you have shortlisted on the same day. Then decide...
    In that budget you will get the 'Active' variant.

Rajeev
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Rajeev, Good Morning and welcome to TFI.

Santro is an entry level hatchback whereas Punto is a Premium hatchback. You can compare Punto only with i20, Polo, Jazz and Fabia. Indica Vista, Ritz, Swift, Figo, Micra are 1 segment lower cars. Santro, i10, WagonR etc are 2 segments below.

Please tell us your location. If you have absolutely no knowledge about cars then it is important that you know the quality of service center in your area.
  5. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Hi Rajeev,

I was like you new to cars (2 years back). Its very easy to trust what the friends says about choice of car. I ended up booking Wagon R (blue eye) just coz my friend praised it like anything. I would suggest the following :

1. Do not hurry in finalizing any car.
    2. Read and research about the cars you like or your friends suggest. Important is to read the ownership reviews (short term and long term) for such cars, as they are written down by the owner of the car and are always unbiased.
    3. Comparison or reviews in magazines can be biased, use it only for reference.
    4. Nothing beats the test drives of individual cars. Now that you are new to cars, you should ask any of your good friend and good driver to accompany you and help with the test drives. I was new driver too, my wife accompanied me to test drives and based on her comments i narrowed down my choices of car.
    5. If your list of car still includes Punto, you can put up your queries here for clarification and we all share help you with the same.
    6. Let go small cars as santro, i10, alto / zen / ritz etc.... diesels are here to stay. Think about it.

If its about diesel, then take the engine into consideration and the engine which powers all the hot selling diesels is Fiat's 1.3 aka National engine. powers tata, maruti suzuki's diesels.

I was told by the ford Figo salesman - Sir, nothing beats Punto in driving comfort and engine performance, give it to Ford and it will sell millions a year.

Good Resources for Fair owner reviews :

1. Fiat Specific
    2. General reviews

Read my car's ownership review -

Feel free to raise your queries.

Regards

Arvind
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Hello Rajeev,

Good to learn that you plan to buy a car. but there are a few questions that you need to ask yourself befor you ask this question in a forum.

1) Why do you need a car?
    2) How much kms will you cover every day?
    3) Where do you stay? (city and driving conditions)
    4) Who will drive the car? (Mostly)
    5) What is the budget ?
    6) How many people will be travelling in the car at a given point of time? (An average count)
    7) How many members do you have in your family?
    8) What is your priority? (Safety,speed, looks, cool gadgets and features, comfort,high class interiors,build quality, good long service, less maintainece cost)
    9) Do you intend to learn / teach driving to family/friends/yourself in this car? (if yes in my opinion go for a second hand)

PS:- Punto is a awesome car no doubt about it but what is your requirement in a car?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Rajeev, My advice for you is to go for Punto, as you have short listed Santro with Punto, you cannot compare santro with Punto in any aspects.
    Just have a Test drive of both the cars and take your own decision,
    Active version will fit in your pocket.
    Punto Punto Punto Punto Punto Punto ......................................................
    Waiting to hear from you dear, just write to us and we will be happy to answer you,,,,,,,
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Rajeev.

Please take time out to answer the excellent queries posed by Shadowfax. It'll help you and us in zeroing on the car you need.

Gurjinder.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Rajeev where are you? we are waiting for your decision. :)
  10. magma

magma