1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning to buy a 2012 Punto

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by carzinger, Jan 9, 2012.

1. hi fiatians, im new to this team, and this is my 2nd post..

actually, im planning to buy a punto 2012.. have paid the advance amount 2 weeks back. only today i got the new OR price qoute.
    its 778000 for diesel emotion. after getting doctors discount(thats the only discount the SA offered me. i negotiated for more, but none)
    but previously, the OR price for emotion pack was 728000 after discounts ( discounts: free insurance, extended warranty, and doctors discount)..
    the price difference is 50000 rs. it seems very huge for me. the sales guy informed me well in advance, during my booking itself, that the prices will increase.
    but i didnt expect this huge increase. after a big confusion i came out of the showroom and just thought of checking out vw polo - just for a comparison.

i enquired vw polo highline diesel. its OTR is 816000 after discounts.. but its 2011 model. (40000 more than punto)

and my questions are:

whether this increase is justifiable and whether shall i go with the punto itself or go for polo?

is the year of munufacture really matters most? ( because, if i go with polo,even though its 2011 model, im registering it in 2012 only)

my heart says go for punto.. punto..punto..

really confused alot and unable to make a wise decision..

hope you guys can help me out to make a decision... please help me. (i have to book a car in a day or two)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  2. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Listen to the Heart that's what i can say. rather than repenting everytime when the Grande passes by you.
    Go for it ............
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's a bit of head too.POLO's 3 cylinder engine is no match against the refined 4 cylinder engine of PUNTO.You should go for PUNTO only for this engine itself.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Both of them are really good and in fact I had confusion between choosing but I always felt the VW expensive for what it offers. Here's my take on the two cars
    Looks - Both are stunning, dare I say I like the Polo better than Punto
    Engine - Punto > Polo - A proper 4 Cylinder vs 3 Cylinder noisy TDI engine
    Interiors - Simply Punto is no match for Polo's interiors, They are very well appointed
    Features - No ACC, Blue & Me, Steering Mounted controls, Rear metal on rear seat
    Cost of upkeep - No free services in VW, The spares we've heard so far sounds to be a bit more than what Fiat offers. A Vento alloy costs 18K vs a Linea/Punto at 10K.
    Ride & Handling - Hands down the Punto
    Interior space - Punto > Polo

The Punto is well kitted for the price, although I may wait for the discounts to kick-in. These are the parameters I will consider whilst buying a car, however if you have any other parameters then we can probably help you choose the best. Good luck with whatever choice you've to make.
  5. thanks teky, sandipan and tony for their kind advise..

still, can someone give me more info or inputs., please..
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Carzinger,

Forget for a moment which two cars are being discussed.

Look at it this way - You are looking at a 2011 car, which has lesser features than the other, newer 2012 car, but is STILL Rs. 40,000 expensive! Lesser features, older manufacturing year, and STILL 40,000 expensive!

I hope i cleared some haze.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Yes - the price is increased but so are the features. You are not getting a Punto which have the same features is had in year 2011. But for a polo, for lesser features, you are paying 40K more than a feature added Punto. See if all the features in emo variant is important to you and check out the active variant also.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto has always been a Value For Money car. For the money you pay you get more features. Only thing that goes in Polos favor is the brand and the German engineering feel good factor. Other than that Punto is a better car, 4 cylinder refined engine, one of the best highway manners for a car south of 10lacs, better equipped, cheaper to maintain.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I agree with Gurjinder and Anoop and Pran as well. Why would you want to pay more for a car that gives less?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    carzinger again if price is the big factor why dont you enquire with the dealer if they are having a 2011 punto. If you can go for a 2011 polo, why not a punto. It will be really hard to find. But nothing wrong in giving a try. You may have to approach several dealers. But if I were in your place, I would definitely opt for the 2012 punto. One thing I can assure you is ,you will never regret even if you pay more.